Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Smokeless Savage 10ML >

Smokeless Savage 10ML

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smokeless Savage 10ML

Old 12-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Smokeless Savage 10ML

Seriously considering picking up one of these things. The increased range and cleaner shooting are luring me. Anybody use one? Pros and Cons from people who have actually owned one would be much appreciated.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Smokeless Savage 10ML

ORIGINAL: TerryM

Seriously considering picking up one of these things. The increased range and cleaner shooting are luring me. Anybody use one? Pros and Cons from people who have actually owned one would be much appreciated.
Not sure exactly why "smokeless" muzzleloading hasn't really caught on here. I guess for some its like meat without potatoes, potatoes without gravy, or beans without cornbread. Smoke and muzzleloadersseem togo hand in hand although it can be avoided.

Wolfhound's site, modern muzzleloading, has a forum just for the Savage 10ML. But do be careful. They love to discuss charging their 10ML's with more yield (IMHO)than Savage ever intended. But you will learn how to get more than 3700 ft. lbs. at the muzzle there. So do be careful.

In any event, there is a number of savage users sharing information in that forum who can answer any questions you have on the 10ML. The responses will be quicker and more numerous than here.

I'd post the link but I can't find it. Did hunting.net make wolfhound take the link to his website from his signature?

Good luck with it if you get one.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:24 PM

Try http://randywakeman.com/savage3.htmand I love my Savage ML10II.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found the modernmuzzleloader link.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/

I notice this disclaimer:

CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner’s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

I'd be sure to follow Savage's recommendations.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also on modern muzzleloading, it is a banning offense to disagree with Randy Wakeman and his booty buddies.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Just for your info Randy Wakeman is banned on modern muzzleloading.
The site belongs to big 6x6 not wolfhound. It is a great site.
Now I have a Savage, several Whites,Omega and bunch of others.
Here in Wi. the Savage is not much of an advantage as you can only use 1x scopes during ML season, plus mine does not shoot conicals very well
(I go to CO. Elk Hunting). But they are awesome sabotshooters and you don't have to clean them right away. A 300 grain barnesbullet over 60 grains of 120 will take care of game animal in North Anerica.
The question I have is are you a ML'er that wants to hunt or a hunter
that wants the best available method that is legal. Without a doubt the Savage is far superior to Smokers, But I like the Smoke.
Redclub
Old 12-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

The question I have is are you a ML'er that wants to hunt or a hunter
that wants the best available method that is legal. Without a doubt the Savage is far superior to Smokers, But I like the Smoke.
Redclub
To answer that question: I am a hunter who is looking for the most effective tool to take advantage of our late muzzle loader season for deer up here in Ontario. It runs the first week of December so we hunt in freezing rain and usually a foot of snow. The other advantage to a muzzle loader is we can draw some easy early season bull moose tags during the rut. So you can see where I'm coming from. The ability to launch 300 grain Barnes bullets at over 2000 fps means you can take moose out to 200 yds easy and long shots are also quite possible in the deer cover we hunt. So to sum up I'm not a died in the wool black powder fan, just a guy who likes to maximize my hunting oppurtunities. As for the fear of smokeless powder, I have been reloading for all my centerfire rifles for over 20 years and understand all the caution needed to safely use the stuff. Not all that different really, just no cartridge to hold the powder.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

You can try Doug's Savage Forum as well...

I have a Sav 10MLII and love it... 65gn of IMR 4198, a 300gn XTP, and the short black Harvester sabot gets me 2272 fps avg and MPBR out to 200 yds with a 6" kill zone...
Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

In your situation by all means get a Savage,I hunt in Wi.during Dec. and I never had a failure in cold, snow/rain. You might want to try a faster powder in real cold weather such as 4759. You might give up a little speed
but there will still be plenty of power. 43 grains of 4759 is a great load.
Seeing you do reload you have a powder scale right?
Good luck you will never regret it.
Redclub
Old 12-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seeing you do reload you have a powder scale right?
Good luck you will never regret it.
Redclub
Yes I have a powder scale. Actually you just answered a good question for me. I wasn't sure if the charges were weighed or scooped. I was going to weigh them for maximum uniformity anyways.
Another question for ya. How difficult is it to keep the vent liners from seizing into place? How often ( # of shots ) do yo remove it to clean and relube?

Quick Reply: Smokeless Savage 10ML

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.