HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tons of questions...
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 10:38 PM
AlaskaMagnum

Default RE: Tons of questions...

Wildrose Kennels has something to offer if you like those types of dogs, but his dogs are not what I would consider the best representative of a versatile shorthair....

Get whatever you like, two males or a male and a female. I have one intact male, one neutered male, and an intact female. The only time life gets a little crazy over here is when my bitch is in heat. Other than that, things are good.

If the dog is bred well, and you just want a meat dog, bond with the dog, teach him a few manners, and the come command. If the breeding was good, the dog will do everything he needs to do to fill the game bag naturally.

If you want some flash and dash like steady to the fall, retrieve to hand, blinds, etc. join your local NAVHDA association. They will help you get a very nice finished companion to hunt with.

As for the house thing, remember that hunting dogs need exercise. Give them lots of it daily and keep the rules of the home strict, and you will have no problem. My dogs are all pretty hot in the field, but they are well behaved house dogs.