Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Tons of questions...

Old 12-09-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Tons of questions...

Hopefully some of you will bear with me and give me some advice. Heres my situation I already own a 1 yr oldmaleweim that is primarly just a house dog cause he is basically scared of his own shadow. I'm looking to get a GSP, and wondering if anyone else has a house dog and a hunting/house dog? Also since my weim is a male,what sex do I get?And does this interfer with the training of your hunting dog?

So on to the next questions...

Does anyone know of a reputable breeder in TX?
I am just getting into bird hunting andalso wondering about training? It almost seems to be a overwelming process. Should you train your hunting dog the basic obediencefirst before moving on to the hunting part of training?

Well here is just a start of the many questions to come, I hope I haven't bombarded yall with too many questions. Thanks for any help that can be given.
John
Old 12-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tons of questions...

I have no doubt in my mind that a dog that spends more time with you is easier to train. Keep 'em in the house and take 'em with you everywhere!!!!!!!

For GSPs (if you must ), contact Charlie Rose in Seymour. His dogs are top-notch!

http://www.wildrosegermanshorthairs.com/
Old 12-09-2006, 09:07 PM

gsp is a great choice. Mine stays in the house with us but to be honest can be a bit of a handful; tons of energy. I live in NC but got mine from Iowa because of the range that I wanted out of the dog. Key with just about any of the pointing breeds in the house is to have a big back yard that they can run all day in and then come in at night. good luck
Old 12-09-2006, 10:38 PM

Wildrose Kennels has something to offer if you like those types of dogs, but his dogs are not what I would consider the best representative of a versatile shorthair....

Get whatever you like, two males or a male and a female. I have one intact male, one neutered male, and an intact female. The only time life gets a little crazy over here is when my bitch is in heat. Other than that, things are good.

If the dog is bred well, and you just want a meat dog, bond with the dog, teach him a few manners, and the come command. If the breeding was good, the dog will do everything he needs to do to fill the game bag naturally.

If you want some flash and dash like steady to the fall, retrieve to hand, blinds, etc. join your local NAVHDA association. They will help you get a very nice finished companion to hunt with.

As for the house thing, remember that hunting dogs need exercise. Give them lots of it daily and keep the rules of the home strict, and you will have no problem. My dogs are all pretty hot in the field, but they are well behaved house dogs.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:53 AM
Typical Buck

May I ask how did your weim become so shy? Just curious.

I would suggest you pickup a good program. NAVHDA bluebook I heard good things about for versatiles. Delmar Smith's book is also good for starters.

As to the little stuff, there are a few things most books wont tell you. Get a hold of someone who has been around hunting dogs. You'll learn alot from them. I'm assuming you already know about the puppy stuff like socialization, correction, etc. If you don't, you need to ask.

Alot ofthings can be done when you first get a puppy. Simple stuff like a toy, checkchord during playtimewill lead into fetch training. Using the leash properly will lead into woah and heel. You don't want to do actual training until the dog is mature enough to understand, ie. absolutely no pressure.

When you start, only 5 mins of training daily at around 3 months of age. Bird expose should be around this time. Slowly increase training until about 10-15 min daily at age 6-9 months. Sometimes you also need to slack off on training. At around the same time, that's when you start introducing the gun. You will use the same commands in the field as in the yard. Field training is actually the hardest part. This is where everyone, except REAL trainers, usually slack off, (I'm terribly guilty also). But that wont happen until after bird and gun exposure.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:11 AM

My weim has always been uncomfortable with tile floors, if his toy gets to close to the entertainment center he won't get it. He will come into the kitchen if my wife or I are in there but won't go in there if we are not and his toy rolls in there. I have tried togethim to come into the water and he won't have anything to do with it.As for with other people and dogs he is very playful with other dogs and will go up to anyone he can. I'm not sure if these kinds of things he will grow out of since he still a pup or what.

As far as getting a pup from a breeder that is so far from me, just really bothers me. Only for the reason of that when I got my weim it was from a breeder in MO., I did tons of research and thought that this is the one I want to go with. When the pup came in he had a horrible eye infection, asking the vet if he could have just gotten it from the plane ride. He said that it had progressed so bad that there was no way that it happened on the plane ride. So I guess you could say it made me even more skeptic of a breeder so far away that I can not see it from myself first.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

When the pup came in he had a horrible eye infection, asking the vet if he could have just gotten it from the plane ride. He said that it had progressed so bad that there was no way that it happened on the plane ride.
Athough it is possible that the eye infection may have come from the plane ride, I would find that doubtfull also. For as far as being skittish I believe the plane ride has an awfull lot to do with it. I flew in 2 Irish Setters and one was in the cargo hold the all the way through and that one was very skittish. The other one flew first class with the pilots and that one was crazy as ever when I recieved that one. So as I see it yes the plane ride more then likely has alot to do with being skittish. She was whimpering the moment she got of the plane. At time she is still a little skittish but, most of that is gone and she loves to run and hunt for me.
I would guess the breeder is where the eye infection come from. So as with any pup the breeders need to be checked out the best you can. One of the things I like to do is trya coupleof their refrences prior to my purchase. If the breeder can not help me out with that then I go elsewhere.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:58 PM

As I mentioned before with my weim being scared with tile floors...we went to petsmart today to put up some things, evrything was fine till he hit the tile floor. Now he has gone in to panic mode, in front of the whole store. You would think that we beat him or something the way he was acting,talking about being completely embarrassing[:@], I walked him out of the store around to use the restroom and tried it again. Same thing happened, now the store is split into two type of floor tile and concrete. Once I gave him alittle extra encouragement he proceeded to slowly walk to the back of the store. After he got off the tile he was just fine sniffing everything and going up to everyone who would pet him. So I know it wasn't the amount of people or the other dogs there. Once we picked up what we needed it was off to the front of the store....back on to the tile floor. this took another 15 mins to get him to the front of the store[>:]. Now my question is does anyone have any ideas on how to break him of this??? I'm stuck in a rut and very embarrassed by him acting like this.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

I ship puppies and dogs all over North America. I've also received shipments of my own dogs and pups. None of them end up "skittish" as a result of the flight. I could supply you with dozens of references from people who have gotten their pups this way...and all of them will tell you the pups are fine, bold and friendly on arrival.

Don't blame the process...it works just fine. Blame the dog's breeding/breeder if you must, or, perhaps place blame on yourself for not handling the pup correctly after receiving it.

As far as an eye infection that has progressed, all puppies must have a state-certified health certificate issued by a vet within 10 days of the flight. If a vet let that puppy fly with an eye infection like that, I'd turn him or her in to their state board. The vet's signature must be on the certificate...so tracking the offender down should be no problem.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:05 AM
Typical Buck

If this has any meaning but seattlesetters has a good reputation around this area. They are the prominent breeders of setters on the westside if not the entire state.

As to your problem, it seems weird to me. Perhaps, something negative happen while on tile? It could have been raised outdoors by the breeder so anything new could be strange. Hard to tell which over the internet. Talk to the breeder if this has cropped up before. One solution is to keep the dog outdoors.

Quick Reply: Tons of questions...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.