HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your thoughts????
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 07:52 AM
ahankster

Default RE: Your thoughts????

Deer are just like people.
Some days they pay attention to scent, some days not. Some deer are flat out smarter than others (just like people too).

Generally, depending on pressure, does have always been considered dumb and will come out early and are very tolerant of people and scent. Where I hunt now, we have way too many deer. The only thing you can't kill are spikes and spotted fawns. As a result, the does have gotten as smart and hard to kill as the bucks. I have sat in a stand and watched a doe zig-zag through the woods, looking up in the trees for people in stands and testing the wind. The two young ones with her were learning by example. When I was growing up, spikes were just about as savvy as the bigger bucks w/ does being considered the dummies. Now, I see spikes all the time, running around like morons. Since they are being left alone, they have become more tolerant just like the does were.

Early in the season, especially bow season, I notice that in my area the deer tend to be very tolerant of scent. I have had does and bucks hang out down wind of me for long periods. A couple of months ago I even had a doe sniff and lick a marking stick I had stuck in the ground, by hand, as a 30 yard marker. Fast forward to this weekend. My son and I sat and watched a spike and three does feeding in the field in front of us. As they moved from right to left, they moved into our scent. The noses went up, crinkled, legs got all stiff and the radar went on. They all get antsy and knew something was up and all started moveing back out of the field. There is no doubt, they smelled us.

So, it just depends on how much the deer in your area are being messed with and how sensative they are.

Hank