HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your thoughts????
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 03:03 PM
txfour

Default Your thoughts????

I have hunted on and off for several years for white tail. I will hunt a few years, get bored with it, then start again a few years later.

Anyhow, my question is in regards to scent, sound and sight. I have shot several deer over the years and only one has been picked off out of a stand. Others I have just sat in the brush or been walking on my property and shot them.

I am questioning everything that these TV shows and mass producers are marketing and how in the world they convince so many people to buy their products.

For instance, two days after season opened I took my daughter (10) and my son (5) hunting with me. My daughter can be failry quiet. However, mys son always seems to make as much noise as a freight trane whatever hes is doing. After sitting on the edge of a wheat field for 40 minutes (and after he shouted "holy crap there is a giant spider coming at me") I shot a 10 point buck. All this while chewing tabacco and spitting on the ground and even standing up to take a leak. Really makes me question how intelligent deer are about scent and sound.

Yesterday I decided to go hunt mid afternoon. I drive up to 100 acres I own and just across the neighbors fence are 5 doe looking at me as I drive by. I decide to go ahead and park at the gate (150 yards from where they were) and see if I could get them over the fence. Now mind you, this was in plain sight. They saw me (I have never owned anything camo) and I saw them as I walked to an oak tree to sit down.

I sat there for 20 minutes before they jumped the fence and walked towards me. I shot one doe and sat waiting while the others ran like they were lost. Five minutes later 2 doe came right back at me. I did not shoot because if I had, my season was over as we are only allowed 1 buck and 2 doe. Anyhow, this disproves the sight aspect in my oppinion.

As I said, over the years I have shot several deer and most were stalked and never spooked.

What are your experiences over the years?