HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking to hunt Elk.
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 02:18 PM
jchpd203
Spike

Default RE: Looking to hunt Elk.

I went to the Routt National Forest last year and hunted on public land. There were 4 of us and the whole trip including license cost about $1300.00 for each of us. We drove from Ohio and gas was included in that amount also. It was a spectacular 2 weeks, we used the first week for scouting (saw a few bulls) and the second for hunting (the weather turned warm and the bulls were very high miles away). We didn't get one needless to say but we enjoyed the trip. The point I am getting at for you is that I am 6'3 and about 300#(also football build) and I am 43. I was on a stationary bike for about 35-45 minutes a day for 6 months prior to going on the trip. I didn't lose much weight but increased my aerobic capacity and then when I got out there I just took it at my pace. I didn't try and set any speed records but I was able to cover several miles each day without much problem. I did use ibuprofen occasionally but it was nothing unbearable. Just use common sense, and don't try and push yourself beyond your limits and you will be fine.