Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Looking to hunt Elk.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Looking to hunt Elk.

In 2009, I'll have been deerhunting for 20 years, and want to give elk hunting a shot in '08 or '09.
Here's what I'm looking for, if anyone can give some advise or even assist in heading me in the right direction, it'd be most welcomed.

1. Colorado isthe most likely state, would WY, NM or AZ be any easier for tags?

2. I'd prefer to use a muzzleloader, but have access to a variety of rifles and am a proficent bowhunter.

3.I will needa guide, the funds will belimited,but don't want to go home empty handed or with apitiful rack.

4. I'mvery much out of shape, and beingfrom Indiana, would probably have a hard time with high elevation and rugged terrain.

5. It may be just me or it could be four of us. Does this help or hurt our chances and costs?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Looking to hunt Elk.

Oh yeah...

6. Indiana isNOT bear country....would prefer them to beonly black andhybernating!

Old 11-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

1) Colorado has the most elk, and the easiest/cheapest tags
2) You'll have to decide which weapon you want to use, you're chances of bagging an elk will be better with muzzleloader or rifle.
3) Even with a guide, there is no garauntee that you'll kill an elk, big or small! I'd guess a low end cost, with a guide, would be $2500-$3500!
4) Start at least 6 months before hand getting into shape. Being in shape will greatly assist you in getting yourself into and around elk country. They live in the high country, you need to be prepared for a lot of exertion to increase your odds of being successful!
5) You may get a price break with an outfitter if several of you book with him at the same time for the same hunt!
6) black bear attacks are not high enough to worry about. BUT, if you come to CO. and hunt the latest rifle season, chances are they will be hibernated by then. BUT seriously, not enough to worry about during early seasons. They are usually more scared of us then we should be of them! They are all black in this state!
Old 11-29-2006, 11:29 PM
GCW

beast44k,I have been to CO elk hunting several times now,both guided and ungiude.Elk hunting is real tough and demanding.You need to start getting in shape today if you plane on going in the next two years.The other thing That I can tell you is you need to choose what weapon your going to use and practice with it 2 to 3 time a week ,at differant yardages.Also buy yourself a real good pair of binoculers.Dont skimp on Eqiupment that you plane on useing out there,its not time to have your 100.00 scope fog up or your 20.00 pair of hikeing boot come apart.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

beast44k:

1. Begin putting in for elk preference points in 2007. Of course, you need to do this on a state-by-state basis. If you can commit to one state now, you only need to obtain elk preference points in that one state, otherwise you need to obtain elk preference points in all states in which you may prospectively hunt elk. Even one or two elk preference points may make a difference in drawing for an elk permit in 2008 or 2009. Of course, if you want to hunt with friends, your friends will have to put in for preference points also, or your drawing results will be determined by their lack of preference points.

2. You said you were "very much out of shape." I agree, you should start getting in shape now. I recommend you think of this process of having at least two maybe even three distinct phases. A first phase would involve moving you from "very much out of shape" to "reasonable physical condition." This first stage would involve quitting smoking (if you smoke), reducing your weight substantially (I take "very much out of shape" to imply you are significantly over weight), beginning a gentle cardiovascular workout (maybe start by walking a mile or two every other day then begin running), and beginning a gentle strength workout. Establish eating and exercisedisciplines. If you succeed in this first phase you will feel a lot better and your success will provide a foundation for summoning the will power necessary for a more aggressive workout program. In the middle phase of conditioning, you will want to develop some bonafide cardiovascular and muscle strength. Run maybe run 3 times each week for 35 minutes, raising your heartbeat to 150 beats per minute for 25 minutes. Run between 2 and 3 miles at a pace of between 5 MPH and 6 MPH, whatever it takes to place yourself under physical stress, so you breath hard and fast. It would help to run up some gentle hills. In the last six months before your elk hunt you should transition to an aggressive workout program. Take care of your body during this stage: get enough sleep, drink enough fluids, eat enough protein (you can use whey powder protein supplements judiciously if need be) or you will injure yourself and set-back your training schedule. This aggressive workout will involve a LOT of cardiovascular training to get ready for high altitude but maybe even more importantly to increase your endurance -- the ability to go all day long and, when needed, to keep going late into the night when you have downed your elk at sunset. You should work on your climbing muscles also -- climb lots of stairs, do leg squats while supporting weights, lunges. Also, be aware that on the actual hunt you will find that you are still going to be overtaxed and feel underprepared on the first day or first two days, but good conditioning will allow you to keep going and you will adopt and feel more in the swing before the end of the hunt. Failing to do a good quality conditioning effort, however, is likely going to lead to your being sidelined early in the hunt, maybe lead to your guide taking you to more physically accessible spots which are less desirable hunting locations.

3. Outfitted/guided hunts are not cheap. If several hunters go on the same hunt with an outfitter, each hunter will have to pay separately (though some discounted rate may be allowed for a party of hunters, but not a very deep discount I wouldn't think). If you are paying less than the average rate, I would expect less than average quality on the outfitted/guided hunt delivered. I think you probably are looking at $4,500 for a quality outfitted/guided one week elk hunt. Be very suspicious of cut rate deals. Why does a successful, qualified outfitter need to offer discounted prices? I think an outfitted/guided hunt for a first time elk hunter is probably a good idea, as there is much to be learned in hunting elk successfully, and a deer hunter from Indiana is unlikely to know this stuff walking into the high country on their first elk hunt. No disparagement intended. I was a do-it-yourself first time elk hunter this past October and came home with no elk and not even a shooting opportunity for an elk. I felt very much like I didn't know the secret handshake, even though I had read a lot of books and querried a bunch of experienced elk hunters on various hunting forums.

4. If you are hunting in Colorado, you will want to obtain the Colorado Big Game Hunting CD sold by the Colorado Department of Fish and Game (or whatever the name of their state agency). This provides vital information on drawing odds for all of the elk hunting seasons. You will want to study this information carefully. Note that at different times of the hunting season elk will be in different places. Early in the elk hunting season the elk are up high, maybe just below timberline, often in public land areas. Later, heavy snows will push the elk lower down the mountains, perhaps onto low lieing private lands. Private lands are often very expensive to hunt -- perhaps in the $7,000 price range. In Colorado, and perhaps in some other states, you need to identify which of several hunting seasons you wish to hunt and then choose your Game Management Unit based on your expectation of where the elk will be during that period of time.

5. Begin collecting your hunting gear over time. It may be difficult to pay for all the needed gear in a short, three month period of time. It is easier, I think, to distribute this cost over a larger period of time. It is also easier to get some of this stuff out of the way early, because you will be busy enough with other things during the last three months before your hunt without having to also manage a large volume of predictable purchases. It is my opinion that elk hunting gear is not necessarily the same gear you will have used for deer hunting. You may see a wide range of weather conditions. Your clothing will have to serve multiple purposes. You should plan to layer your clothing. Your clothes should be warm when they are wet and be such as to dry out readily. Cotton does not answer well to this requirement; wool does suit this requirement. Wool dries out pretty quickly and is still warm when wet. I find medium weight wool trousers, while quite warm when it is cold, are nevertheless pretty comfortable even when it is warm outside. Under layers should wick moisture away from your body, for example polypropylene. Get boots that provide lots of ankle support, protection of your toes from kicking heavy rocks while walking in the dark, support for the soles of your feet while walking over rocks, soles which provide traction in snow ("bob" soles for example) and maybe have some insulation. I like the Meindl "Perfekt Hunters," but no doubt other boots are also equally suitable. You will want a quality pair of binoculars, for example 8 power binoculars with 42 mm objective lenses. You can buy the $1,700 Leica binoculars if you have the cash, but I think you can get good service out of much less expensive binoculars, for example Nikon Monarch binoculars or other brands which sell for less than $600. You may likely need a cold weather sleeping bag, unless you are hunting out of a hotel or out of a ranch. I suggest disregarding the manufacturer's "comfortable down to a temperature of X degrees!" temperature rating and make your own evaluation based on the specified quantity of insulation. I find the manufacturer's temperature ratings to be wildly inaccurate. I saw temperatures of only about 20 degrees above zero Fahrenheit and yet I was a little cold in my sleeping bag rated by the manufacturer to be comfortable for 20 degrees BELOW ZERO -- and I was sleeping on top of a thermal pad inside a backpacking tent.

6. You may consider taking a GPS, even on a guided hunt, as a security blanket. If for some reason you get seperated from your guide, a GPS makes it very easy to find your way around and go from one place to another. Even an inexpensive GPS unit (I used a $120 Garmin Etrex and found it gave very good service) provides a lot of valuable navigational capability. If you do get a GPS, practice with it before you go afield so you know how to operate it.

What I read says only 25% of elk hunters are successful in any given year. Just hooking up with an outfitter/guide does not necessarily boost these odds significantly -- for example over 33%. Bagging any elk is FAR, FAR from a sure thing even when you hook up with an outfitter/guide. You will definitely want to think through your hunting objectives based on a realistic appraisal of your hunting situation. For example, if you want at least a 6x6 this may imply being willing to hunt four to six seasons, passing on lesser animals to wait for the 6x6. Are you hunting for a head or would you be satisfied going home with a cow elk which provides excellent eating? I was entirely ready to take a cow on day one of the season, 10 minutes into the season if one presented herself to me. I'm not a trophy hunter. Every hunter has their own objectives. Some suggest a sliding scale. Initially set your goal to take any legal elk, cow or bull. After you have achieved this goal, slide your objectives up a notch to a 5x5 bull. Once you have a 5x5 bull, slide your scale up to a 6x6 bull. You get the idea.

A "do it yourself (DIY)" elk hunt is a complicated proposition. All of my comments above are directed to an outfitted/guided hunt, because you indicated this was your main plan. If you were to look at a DIY elk huntadditional considerations come into view. For example, you then need a plan to cope with a 700 LBS elk corpse: how to cut this bulk up, how to care for the meat in the field, how to get the meat to your vehicle, etc. Other DIY elk hunting issues include providing the capability to dry wet clothes in the field, providing heat within your sleeping quarters (you may be able to survive without such heating, but most hunters find heat is necessary to preserve sanity over the several days of the elk hunt), getting your outfit back in where the elk will be found. Of course, you also have to figure out where and how to hunt the elk if you are DIY elk hunting. This may be the most valuable asset provided by the outfitter/guide -- elk hunting experience and savvy combined with substantial scouting of the elk in that particular area.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

I have only hunted in NW Colorado. So don't know about other states.

If this is your first hunt then I recommend getting a guide. But that is costly.

2nd recommendation would be to get a cow tag. It will get you experience and some meat.

If you go BP or Archery, then be prepared to walk a lot more than with a rifle.

When buying equipment, only buy one of the best brands.

Buying clothes - Buy the best and only one set. Better than buying two sets of cheap stuff.

Use ammo matched to the game. Only premium stuff.

If you are DIY, then bring a GPS so you can find your way back to camp and then back to your downed elk.

Again I would recommend getting a cow tag or EitherSex for the first hunt if it is DIY.

Good Luck.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the tips, especially fromAlsation.
I'm 6 foot and 250lbs., basically a football players build, just missingsome strength and endurance.
And at age 36, don't expect loosing somepounds to be any easier.
I know I can put out a day or two's effort, but by the third day would be a sore muscle mess. I want to be confident that I hold my own for 4-5 days and be able to drive home on day 7....maybe spending day 6 in a hot tub.

I'd imagine the best thing for me,is to search and find a quality guide who can narrow things down to what wouldbest suit my needs.

I imagine it's like car shopping, some will tell me what I want to hear, and others, less helpful when there's less money to be made.
You get what you pay for....sometimes.

Thanks and wish me luck!
Old 12-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Spike

I went to the Routt National Forest last year and hunted on public land. There were 4 of us and the whole trip including license cost about $1300.00 for each of us. We drove from Ohio and gas was included in that amount also. It was a spectacular 2 weeks, we used the first week for scouting (saw a few bulls) and the second for hunting (the weather turned warm and the bulls were very high miles away). We didn't get one needless to say but we enjoyed the trip. The point I am getting at for you is that I am 6'3 and about 300#(also football build) and I am 43. I was on a stationary bike for about 35-45 minutes a day for 6 months prior to going on the trip. I didn't lose much weight but increased my aerobic capacity and then when I got out there I just took it at my pace. I didn't try and set any speed records but I was able to cover several miles each day without much problem. I did use ibuprofen occasionally but it was nothing unbearable. Just use common sense, and don't try and push yourself beyond your limits and you will be fine.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

A couple additional thoughts. At the age of 36 reducing your weight will be a piece of cake. I'm 50 years old, and I can lose weight and keep it off. It requires two things: exercise and limitation of calorie consumption. Drink more water. Drink water when you have a hunger pang. Others may disparage my approach, but I follow an eating regime all week long but allow myself to indulge myself pretty much without limits in a Saturday evening meal. As you get closer to the time of your hunt, you need to focus less on losing weight and more on physical conditioning. This is one reason to get the weight off early.

I have read that some recommend using a booking agent to hook up with an outfitter/guide. It is difficult to do the due diligence necessary to find a good outfitter/guide, but this is the stock and trade of booking agents.

Get your hands on books about elk hunting and read them. Don't assume you are going to get the whole picture from reading one or even ten of these books, but you will learns something. I find that most of these books have a lot of good advice about equipment, clothes, guns, bows, elk biology, the various state permit drawing systems, caring for elk meat. I personally was not satisfied with the treatment these books gave for the actual activity of hunting elk and still feel I'm out in the dark about the preferred hunting methods. Reading the elk books also provide many opportunities for leisurely fantasizing about the forthcoming elk hunt.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:19 PM
GCW

It has been 20 years scince I went on my first DIY elk hunt,back then you could walk into a store and buy a elk tag.Now you have to get prafrance points to get a tag,2 to 3 years avrage.At the time whenwe first went out there,my friends brother had lived out there for a few years and had a good handle on hunting elk.You have been given alot of good advice so fare.Back when I first went out there we had no ideal what we were doing,we went out there like we were hunting whittail in the east,I went out there with snow boots,heavy clothes,no compass,and a borrowed rifle that was chamberd in 270 with a box of 130gr psp.And my hunting partners were just as ill prepard as I was

Quick Reply: Looking to hunt Elk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.