HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tips for hunting in snow
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2002, 02:45 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tips for hunting in snow

If this is just a dusting or regular snow, then the deer will be about their business as usual. If it is a front, blizzard or storm type snow then they may hang tight a bit. However if it slows during early morning then look for more movement than normal during the middle of the day. If a real hum dinger and it slows around midday look for the evening to be jumping. It really depends on what the snow brings with it and the familarity of the deer in the area to that condition..on movements, etc.

As far as hunting the snow, all mentioned the advantages. When it is snowing or just stopped in the early am I like to get deep in the bush in transition areas...I am not a real big fan of food source or wide open field hunting after a dump of the white stuff. Remember snow will illuminate the area better than no snow so they may elect to move to cover earlier than before the snow. If you place yourself in their transition routes you'll always create or double up your opp. to see and harvest game.

Still hunting after a fresh snow is great, but make sure you have a compass and good knowledge of the terrain. Look for deer to bedded in low spots, side of ridges or the thick bush areas...they know they stick out, tend to hide a little better with the first few snow flakes staying on the dirt.

Don't forget to dress warm and layers and stay out as long as you can.

I love the snow and deer hunting, just makes it that much more amazing. Snow capped noses, steaming backs and beds...seeing the breath..AHHHH SNOW!