Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips for hunting in snow

Old 12-04-2002, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Tips for hunting in snow

Tomorrow will be my first time deer hunting. I am in Maryland, forcast says 3"-5" of snow tonight through tommorrow. Will snow help or hurt my chances? Any hunting tips for snow? Thanks.

-Rick C.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:03 PM

Default RE: Tips for hunting in snow

The deer certainly are easy to see with snow on the ground. I am in Indiana and I took a buck and a doe last weekend with snow on the ground. I really didn't do anything different, save for a few more layers of clothes.

I will say that if it is snowing on you, don't brush off the snow as you will be the only thing without realistic fresh snow look. Well unless you don't have waterproof clothes. lol
Old 12-04-2002, 12:12 PM

Hunting in snow is alot easier then not. Its easier to see the deer and it makes tracking them alot easier. I live in ny and we have about a foot of snow on the ground right now. The thing thats getting to me is that its been staying 5 degrees or less. This wouldn't be so bad except when you add a 20-30 mph wind to it things start getting COLD.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:13 PM

Unless you have horrible conditions(strong winds ect..) deer should be moving, and like mentioned before, they are easier to spot with a white background, not to mention easier to track if you hit one.
Good Luck on your first hunt
Old 12-04-2002, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, they are way easier to spot and track.
Also, if you are still hunting (probably not a good idea for a first timer) the snow can cover you rnoise when you are walking.

When it rains or snows I like to wear a hat with a brim that goes all the way around. It keeps the wet stuff from getting in my eyes or down my neck.

Good luck. Let us know how your first day out goes.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the temp is going to warm up above 32F, be prepared for the snow to melt off of the branches and sounds like deer moving through the woods. Last week I had to check out every little noise because the snow was dropping all day.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:25 PM

I get very aggresive when hunting in 3"-5" of fresh snow. I first walk slowly around an area of woods that I'm going to hunt. If I find fresh tracks, Then I follow them very slowly and always watch ahead of me. you can see far ahead with the snow. If you see deer, move to a spot so that your concealed behind trees or a hill before trying to get a closer shot, then keeping your eys on them close the gap!
GOOD LUCK.

Edited by - Bow_Hunter on 12/04/2002 14:27:13
Old 12-04-2002, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

u hunted a sapling thicket monday and there was snow...last year same spot i didnt so i can compare i was in the same exact tree pile...without snow they are alot noisier and you can still catch the movement...the snow they stick out like a sore thumb and tracking is easy if needed but unless they bump sticks or anything they are pretty hard to hear....i didnt hear any monday but seen them...last year i heard them and was more ready when they came...but both are nice..i like the snow...easier to drag out too! we drug 3 deer about 2 miles...took us about 2 hrs monday all at one time...last year my dad killed only one doe a bit smaller than the one i got monday and it took only 30 mins or so longer to drag 3 than the one without snow last year...but my dad did just get hit by a motorcycle in july last year and was sore still so maybe that had something to do with the time..good luck!
Old 12-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

If this is just a dusting or regular snow, then the deer will be about their business as usual. If it is a front, blizzard or storm type snow then they may hang tight a bit. However if it slows during early morning then look for more movement than normal during the middle of the day. If a real hum dinger and it slows around midday look for the evening to be jumping. It really depends on what the snow brings with it and the familarity of the deer in the area to that condition..on movements, etc.

As far as hunting the snow, all mentioned the advantages. When it is snowing or just stopped in the early am I like to get deep in the bush in transition areas...I am not a real big fan of food source or wide open field hunting after a dump of the white stuff. Remember snow will illuminate the area better than no snow so they may elect to move to cover earlier than before the snow. If you place yourself in their transition routes you'll always create or double up your opp. to see and harvest game.

Still hunting after a fresh snow is great, but make sure you have a compass and good knowledge of the terrain. Look for deer to bedded in low spots, side of ridges or the thick bush areas...they know they stick out, tend to hide a little better with the first few snow flakes staying on the dirt.

Don't forget to dress warm and layers and stay out as long as you can.

I love the snow and deer hunting, just makes it that much more amazing. Snow capped noses, steaming backs and beds...seeing the breath..AHHHH SNOW!

Old 12-04-2002, 02:59 PM

I also love snow for stalking but here in Indiana the snow can be crunchy at times or iced over. If that is the case, forget trying to even get to your stand without spooking everything. Well if your stands are anywhere close to their beds.

Quick Reply: Tips for hunting in snow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.