HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Federal Fusion..NOT impressed
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 10:39 AM
rather_be_huntin
Typical Buck

Default RE: Federal Fusion..NOT impressed

It's one of those things....it's like a ladder, one step leads to another and you end up at a single destination.

Q1 - Does a "premium" (Partition, Barnes X) bulletretain it's weightbetter than a "plain jane" (core-lok't) bullet?
A1 - Proven, undisputable research says yes it does.

Then,

Q2 - What happens to the "lost" weight? Where does it go?
A2 - It fragments into smaller pieces. Since the loss is generally greater with plain jane, especially with heavy bone,these smaller pieces can have a greater "grenade" effect in the way those pieces distribute inside an animal. Sometimes these pieces break into what is called "shards" which are sometimes only detectable once the meat is being cosumed.Athough this is not too common it has happened to me and quite frankly sucks.

Then,

Q3 -What is the effect of this fragmenting?
A3 - Fragmenting ruins meat.

Then,

Q4 - Is all ruined meat visible?
A4 - Well yes and no. The heavy damage where extreme shock took place is visible once the hide is removed. This is noticeable due to blood vessels breaking.(Bruising) But some meat damage is not detecable until the animal is butchered. This can be bruising between muscle groups that wasn't visible until those groups were seperated. There can be "channeling" were a bullet fragment creates a channel right through the middle of say a rump roast.(This sometimes does not have a bruise along the channel.)I would cut that out due to the "shard" that could still be in there. I've seen fragments enter intestines, stomachs, and other organs to ruin the surrounding meat.

Trust me there is a difference. I've learned that it's true some things are over priced but in general you get what you pay for. I'm not trying to argue with anyone but there is a difference,believe it or not.

Sounds to me like the fusion is not an elk bullet regardless of what they say.