HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Howler
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

Well, I made it back home late last night from the farm in KS. And to get to the meat of the story, I came home with the same buck tag that I took with me[&:]I went back there for 10 days, but I hunted predators for 2 days, hunted upland birds for a few hours on 3 or 4 days, and I helped round up, sort, and work cattle for a day,then a half day to run some other errands. The weather was good for the most part, only one nasty windy day and one hot day. I got to see around 15 different bucks while on stand, and probably double that in deer without antlers. I had a goal of either a deer with around 140" or more, or no antlers at all. I finally shot a doe late last Friday evening, although I still got in the stand Sat. morning and eve. The largest buck I had an opportunity at was about a 125" to 130" 10 pointer, and I thought about it, even drew on him, BUT I know there are better deer back there, and I had a goal, and stuck with it. I got to see some good chasing action, even had a hot doe bed down 15 yards from my tree stand one morning with a nice 120" 8 pointer standing near by. I wish I could've contributed to the team, but I'm sure you guys all understand, at least I hope so.
BUT I did get to take a young turkey, a nice doe,(both with the bow),5 coyotes, 3 pheasant, and 5 quail on this trip. I saw 2 bobcats, but never got a shot opportuninty on either of them.
I also got to see a monster bodied 9 pointer, had a double brow on one side,thatmy 3 freinds and I all agreed would go at least upper 150's, and he was only about a 1/2 mile from my familys land. Thissighting pretty well kept my goal in mind and kept me from shooting any of the smaller bucks!
Congrats TeeJay on a fine buck, a well earned one at that. Good luck to the rest of you guys that are still working on having some success. I'm done with the bow for the season, and thecoyotes are now at the top of my list!