HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk rifle opinions
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 12:10 AM
BrutalAttack
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk rifle opinions

ORIGINAL: stratofisher1

I a looking to purchase a new rifle for elk hunting and am currently debating which of the 300 magnums I should get. I am looking at the 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, 300 RUM, and 300 Weatherby. Looking for honest opinions of which one would best fill the role of a future elk rifle. I am leaning towards Sako or Tikka as far as brands go. I currently shoot a 270 and find it a little on the light side for 300 yd shots that I sometimes require.
It depends on what you want.

If you want the best performer for 400 yard shots then go with the Weatherby. It had the most retained energy and flattest trajectory at 400 yards with the RUM a very close second.

But, if you're more concerned with efficiency and magnum performance without magnum recoil then go with the WSM. It performs like a win mag in a short action, which allows for more inherently accurate rifles, quicker follow up shots etc etc.

Any of them will get it done at 400 yards. I think your decision is more about finding the rifle you want most.

Also, don't forget the 270 Weatherby or 270 WSM they are perfectly viable for your needs and a little flatter shooting than the 300s.

good luck