HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I GROWLED in some deer this morning
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 05:13 PM
RackLuster
Nontypical Buck

Default I GROWLED in some deer this morning

OK, believe me, i don't believe the hype about the buck growl and buck roar calls. for one thing the calls do not even sound like the sound thedeer are making in the dvd that comes with the call!

BUT, this morning i was about to get down from my stand (8:40) and i decided to do some real hard rattling and grunting. I did some of the 'growling' but not awhole lot. mainly just hard grunts using the buck growlcall. i thought i'd listen for deer as i packed up. within a minute (ihad justput the call in my backpack) icould hear some deer coming. they were moving fast. i had to scramble to get my bow. as theywere coming a fawn that was bedded near metook off for a swamp. theother deer eventually showed up and passed me about 40 yards away. it looked like2 does but it could have been a small buck chasing a doe. They hung around for a couple minutes about 30 yards away in a swamp and then wenttowards an island inthe swamp.

i tried a couple grunts to lure them back. no luck. then within a minute or twotwo more deer come from the same general area as the last two. this time it's definitely a buck chasing a doe. she was doing everything she could to give him the slip. no luck. they were out inthe swamp, i grunted again and they came rightin (along with the fawn that had bedded down earlier). they came in real slowly,the buck was definitely looking for something.(the doe mysteriously disappeared behind a tree, i could not find her but she was only 20 yards away!) it took themabout ten minutes to get into my shooting lane. i passed on the buck, a very small 5 point, andshot the doe. my shot wasa perfect heart shot. in fact the arrow broke off and when i was gutting her out i found the fletching end of the arrow stuck in her heart (i have pics ). no wonder she only went 25-30 yards!

anyway, i'm being totally honest with you when isay that is the most action i've ever seen in that short of time, ever(pretty sad, i know)! it could allbe a big coincidence for all i know. either way, i'll be using that call more often. i still think the actual 'growl' (blowing hard through the call) sounds like crap and not even close toa realistic sound. but the gruntsound is great. also, the primos call is adjustable and has a little snort weeze call built on. might be a better option???

anyway, justthought i'd pass on that tidbit! good luckthe next couple weeks everyone!

oh, the funny thing about it is when i shot the doe she made a true growl. just like in the video that came with the call. That'sjust happens to be the first time I'veheard a deer make that sound in person.

The rocket steelhead really did a number on her. it looked like a blood balloon popping when she got hit. I knew as soon as I hit her that she was going to fall within sight! I was so close to getting out of my stand. That last half hour was tough to sit through because I wanted to do some scouting and nothing was moving. It was by far my funnest hunt ever (where I didn't bag a buck).