Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I GROWLED in some deer this morning >

I GROWLED in some deer this morning

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I GROWLED in some deer this morning

Old 10-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I GROWLED in some deer this morning

OK, believe me, i don't believe the hype about the buck growl and buck roar calls. for one thing the calls do not even sound like the sound thedeer are making in the dvd that comes with the call!

BUT, this morning i was about to get down from my stand (8:40) and i decided to do some real hard rattling and grunting. I did some of the 'growling' but not awhole lot. mainly just hard grunts using the buck growlcall. i thought i'd listen for deer as i packed up. within a minute (ihad justput the call in my backpack) icould hear some deer coming. they were moving fast. i had to scramble to get my bow. as theywere coming a fawn that was bedded near metook off for a swamp. theother deer eventually showed up and passed me about 40 yards away. it looked like2 does but it could have been a small buck chasing a doe. They hung around for a couple minutes about 30 yards away in a swamp and then wenttowards an island inthe swamp.

i tried a couple grunts to lure them back. no luck. then within a minute or twotwo more deer come from the same general area as the last two. this time it's definitely a buck chasing a doe. she was doing everything she could to give him the slip. no luck. they were out inthe swamp, i grunted again and they came rightin (along with the fawn that had bedded down earlier). they came in real slowly,the buck was definitely looking for something.(the doe mysteriously disappeared behind a tree, i could not find her but she was only 20 yards away!) it took themabout ten minutes to get into my shooting lane. i passed on the buck, a very small 5 point, andshot the doe. my shot wasa perfect heart shot. in fact the arrow broke off and when i was gutting her out i found the fletching end of the arrow stuck in her heart (i have pics ). no wonder she only went 25-30 yards!

anyway, i'm being totally honest with you when isay that is the most action i've ever seen in that short of time, ever(pretty sad, i know)! it could allbe a big coincidence for all i know. either way, i'll be using that call more often. i still think the actual 'growl' (blowing hard through the call) sounds like crap and not even close toa realistic sound. but the gruntsound is great. also, the primos call is adjustable and has a little snort weeze call built on. might be a better option???

anyway, justthought i'd pass on that tidbit! good luckthe next couple weeks everyone!

oh, the funny thing about it is when i shot the doe she made a true growl. just like in the video that came with the call. That'sjust happens to be the first time I'veheard a deer make that sound in person.

The rocket steelhead really did a number on her. it looked like a blood balloon popping when she got hit. I knew as soon as I hit her that she was going to fall within sight! I was so close to getting out of my stand. That last half hour was tough to sit through because I wanted to do some scouting and nothing was moving. It was by far my funnest hunt ever (where I didn't bag a buck).
Old 10-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I GROWLED in some deer this morning

Nice reading, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck yet with this call. I have one and have had zero success with it. The grunt does sound great but I have been using mainly contact grunts with a softer sounding call. I have tried a few growls the last several days with no results. I will try it next week since I have a few days off to really concetrate on some prowling bucks.

The good thing is if your in Rogers you are a few miles from me so interesting to see. I did see a nice 8 point last night around 120" or more. He was 15 yards too far and would not commit to any soft grunts. Then he got downwind and he was not sticking around. [:@]I may have let a arrow fly. Thanks again for the update RackLuster.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I growled up two hookers and a nympho last night after dark. They came a running. I really don't think it was my fat wallet that did it. It had to be the Growler.[&:]
Old 10-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I growled up two hookers and a nympho last night after dark. They came a running. I really don't think it was my fat wallet that did it. It had to be the Growler.[&:]
Dave have you been hitting the cough syrup again[8D]

Were they mature bucks 3 1/2 and up?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

By your description it doesn't sound like you "growled" up anything. Sounds like it was happen stance.

Good story tho.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try growling with it, it does work, if you read my post called Buck Growl Effects youd see the proof behind the call. I was amazed how well it worked on a nice 8 pointer that was walking away from me and behind me and grunts just werent doing it, I growled, he stopped dead in his tracks abotu 60 yards away, turned around and came in. Unfortunatley before he could come in close enough for a shot my wifes cousin came walking up the road through our woods and spooked the 4 or 5 deerI had in there. I only needed about 10 more yards and hed behanging in my shed. And you didnt really growl them in. I growled mine in, you grunted yours in, try the growl and you dont have to blow hard through it to make the growl. Trust me. If you do and youre using the primos roar, get the MAD Buck Growl.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

True, I may not have growled up anything. I'm as skeptical as anyone, especially in hunting videos when they say they grunt a deer in and the thing is just meandering through the woods. But, the speed that it all happened after my grunting/growling/rattling was amazing. When I say it was less than a minute before I could hear deer running, it was probably 15 seconds! I believe those deer were bedded down because when I first heard them they sounded really close, I literally scrambled to get my bow in time. was it the growl? probably not. I think it was more the rattling and the grunting. Like i said, the growl doesn't even sound like a growl.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:41 AM

WOW, I can't believe all the hype this new call is getting, after reading a post last week i went out and "bought" one (not really bought, DICK's gave me a gift certificate for $30, so i went and picked the PRIMO out). This weekend is the first time to use it, hopefully it'll help me get my first bow kill. "Hooker or Nympho" im not picky at this point!