HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what do you hate about all the new camo out there?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what do you hate about all the new camo out there?

I have hunted deer for four years. In years 1, 2, and 3 I harvested one deer in each season. I wore camo in those years. Last year I harvested two deer and did not wear camo but in green dockers for pants and a red plaid wool shirt. Not statistically relevant, granted. What did people used to wear when they deer hunted in the old days? Is camoflage a dominant factor in hunting success or are other factors more important? I hunt soley from ground blinds and take trouble to select a position with clutter screening my feet and lower body from the view of approaching deer, a position that is in shadow, and preferably a position that has clutter screening my upper body and face while leaving a good shooting lane. I make a point of being still while hunting and moving slowly when I move. I wear a face net over my face. I make a point of locating so the wind is favorable to my position relative to the expected approach of the deer. Under these circumstances how much additional cloaking value would have been provided by camoflage?

I think we need to be on the look-out for deer hunting gizmos whose main reason for existing is to line the pockets of the sporting goods marketeers and provide only marginal benefits to hunters. Use your head folks.