Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 what do you hate about all the new camo out there? >

what do you hate about all the new camo out there?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

what do you hate about all the new camo out there?

Old 09-21-2006, 12:19 PM

Default what do you hate about all the new camo out there?

just wondering what all of you guys think is wrong with the new camo out there? what camo do you like the best? i was an all mossy oak guy until i saw this report http://www.whitetail.com/camo1.html
Just want your opinions on what can be better about camo as we know it.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what do you hate about all the new camo out there?

One of the main problems with camo is the industry itself. Every year a new pattern emerges promising to be the latest and greatest thing. Unfortunatly this really isn't true. Most of it is over rated and not needed.

However, keep in mind that camo, as used for the military, and camo as used forhunting are not necessarily the same thing.

The military uses camo to trick the human eye which is watching for a human silouette and movement. The goal is to not be symetrical or stand out from the enviornment you are in.

Hunting camos' purpose is to make you look like a tree or a bush. It is supposed to make you look like what ever kind of tree or brush you are in. It really doesnt do much to break your silouette. Humans have to be proactive in breaking their silouette even when they are in camo.

Your friend was both right and wrong. Keep in mind he's coming from a military back ground where one does not take "team real tree" to the desert or even the jungle.

Most of what is wrong with camo is people who hunt believe that it's the answer to everything they need instead of sharpening their woodscraft. Too many people that hunt wear their camo out to the resturant, to the gas station etc when it need to be left at the lodge. The camo I wear stays in a closet until it is used for hunting, and only hunting.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:37 PM

I am not so sure that military and huntingapplications for camo differ very much as Ryan Campbell suggests. I would think that human eyesight is generally better than most game animals (maybe I am wrong). But assuming that is true, then camo that is designed to hide fromhuman eyesight will also work for hiding from game animals' eyesight.

I definitely disagree that effective hunting camo should make you look like a bush rather than break up your human shape. Igenerally agree with the linked article in the original post. Look at the tiger example...a tiger in the jungle is hiding from prey, just like bowhunters in the woods. The tiger's natural camoflage does not make him look like a bush.Instead, it serves to break up his ouline...his predator shape,with contrast and breakup.

I think hunting camo should first and foremost remove your human shape, outline, silhouette,etc. And quite frankly,military camo (like army woodlands) probably does this better than most hunting camo patterns. The new digital patterns used by the marines and army are probably even better yet.

The thing I hate most abouttoday's hunting camo is the industry itself. It has become a fashion industry, rather than afunctional tool industry.

I live inAlaska now, and while hunting caribou on open tundra (nothing to blend into) i use predator because it breaks up my outline better than realtree and mossyoak. I am obviously not a camo expert, but I definitely think that breaking uphuman shapes is more important that looking like bushes.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:41 PM

After having a closer look at ryan's post, I have to say that I agree with him entirely.

It is true that camo used for miltary and camo used for hunting are different and have different purposes.

I just don't think they SHOULD have different purposes. They do, but they shouldn't. The problem is that the camo industry knows they can make some bucks buy coming out with newer and more high definition stuff every season.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:13 PM

price, price and price
Old 09-21-2006, 06:48 PM

the silouette is what makes me so mad about mossy and real tree. I agree predator is numero uno in my book.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Ryan Campbell

One of the main problems with camo is the industry itself. Every year a new pattern emerges promising to be the latest and greatest thing. Unfortunatly this really isn't true. Most of it is over rated and not needed.
Nailed it .
Old 09-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

MOVEMENT! Camo helps, but it won't make you invisible!
There is a big reason, deer don't like to move (in most places) during windy conditions! When "everything" is moving, they can't pick up movement easy!
Whether its camo, or scent blockers, if thats what you are leaning on, its going to fail you sooner or later!
That said, I like the original Realtree and Mossy Oak camo's the best!
I have been literally eye-ball to eye-ball with deer several times, without getting busted wearing the original Realtree!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no problems with any of it. Never give it much thought actually.Wish them all well! Some of it is interesting. Some real creative people out there.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:23 AM

I think good hunting skills are your best defense against being busted by game. That being said, and I am no expert, but I believe open pattern camos do a much better job at breaking up your outline. I use Predator Brown Deception and although it looks wild to the human eye, think about it from an animals view. Most animals like deer don't have good depth perception. Also some experts say deer do not see the full spectrum of colors as we do. Camo like Predator, with it's open pattern, can break up your outline even in the open. I have proved this to my self many times. I think that there is always something in your backround that blends with one or more of the parts of the open patterns. If this happens then big pieces of your shape tend to dissappear therefore not making you invisable but not making you look like a human to animals. As far as looking like a bush, tree, leaf, etc... thats not necassary, even in the greenest surroundings there is still a lot of earth tones. Also Predator also does a dang good job of hiding you from human eyes too.

Quick Reply: what do you hate about all the new camo out there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.