HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What to do about a dozen deers that ate all my plants? (multiple pix)
Old 10-27-2006, 04:50 AM
spur0701

Default RE: What can I do about a big buck that ate all my plants? (the one in this photo below)

I'm sorry but I think that if there are that many deer in your neighboorhood you have a big over population problem. Any steps you take might keep them away from some of your landscaping and drive them to your neighboors for a whilebut they'll probably be back....adoe or two with a fawn each is one thing but that many ina neighboorhood, even one with estate size lots, there's just not enough food unless there are farms close by.I live in surburban MD, outside DC and you see the problem a lot around here. In one neigherboorhood I have hunted in Montgonery County, MD, the home owners have gone so far as to fence off all their shubs and flower beds with chicken wire and they even have a golf course next door with alternate food sources. I have even seen instances where home owners tried to put corn out to feed the deer in the hope they would spare the landscaping...but the deer like a variety. With no predators the only way to check the population is 1) starvation, 2) collisions with cars, 3) hunting....there have even been serious attempts to put out bait laced with contraceptives but they haven't beeneffective.