Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What to do about a dozen deers that ate all my plants? (multiple pix) >

What to do about a dozen deers that ate all my plants? (multiple pix)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to do about a dozen deers that ate all my plants? (multiple pix)

Old 10-26-2006, 01:11 AM

Default What to do about a dozen deers that ate all my plants? (multiple pix)

***(Edited to add photos of most of the deers)

What can I do about a big buck that ate all my plants? (the one in this photo below)Firing a weapon(even arrows) are not permitted in this area. The local animal control is no help. By the way, what size is this buck? How many "points" is it?This deer is now at least 25% bigger(the photo was taken several months ago) It comes comes to my front yard, along with 8otherfemale and baby deers, several times a day!

Thanks!

Buck #1
!

Buck #2

These three bucks are the offspring of the bucks above...

The females only come out by themselves, not with the males... There are actually 8 female deers in this photo, two are barely visible on the other side of my driveway... also note the empty birdfeeder...I have stopped feeding the birds because the seeds fall on the ground and the deers also love eating it...

These are two newer male deers... making that a total of 7 male dders.(the other 5 shown in the top two photos)

(included picture of a fox, because for some strange reason, the deears always run away when the fox(es) show up)
Old 10-26-2006, 02:44 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: What can I do about a big buck that ate all my plants? (the one in this photo below)

That buck looks like a 3 1/2 year old 8 pointer. You should leave a trail of his favorite plant species leading to your freezer. Leave the freezer open and when he pokes his head in there, push him in, and close it![:-]
Old 10-26-2006, 03:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What can I do about a big buck that ate all my plants? (the one in this photo below)

Well if you really really want to get rid of him. I suppose I could find time in my busy schedule to help you out.[8D] Just let me know.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:08 AM

Why do I have a feeling this picture was taken in a park,, and some anti is just fishing for ammunition too further her cause??

Been an awful lot of first time posters on this site recently asking loaded questions and just hoping for answers too further theyre cause!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 AM
Fork Horn

Troll Alert!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

AAAAAH, resident deer! I heard they taste like chicken!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Sarah , once deer discover a good source of tasty plants it's very difficult to get them to leave , which is why hunting is a primary game management tool for most state F&G departments . Since it isn't an option for you , try using deterrents against them . here are a few , none are guaranteed to work though:
1) Soak some dried habanero peppers in enough water to cover for 3-5 days , then while wearing rubber gloves strain the liquid into a trigger spray bottle through a coffee filter . Add a couple of teaspoons of dishwashing liquid and a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil to the bottle and add water to fill line . This mixture is generally harmless to plants , but test it on a leaf or two first . Shake the bottle well before and during spraying . DO NOT GET THIS STUFF ON YOUR SKIN !!
2)Get a bag of blood meal from a local garden center and apply at the reccomended application rate around target plantings , deer don't like the smell .
3) Scatter mothball around target plants , deer don't like the smell .
4) Visit your local zoo and see if they will give you or sell you some large cat poo such as tiger , leopard , or lion . Apply around target plants . Deer may never have seen any of those cats , but the smell of a large predator will definitely unnerve them .
5) Buy some motion activated solar lights and mount them in problem areas , deer hate eating with a spotlight shining on them .
6) Buy some of those motion activated garden hose sprayers that are sold for repelling dogs , mount them in problem areas .
Old 10-26-2006, 05:51 AM

I had a real problem with deer eating my hostas and some verycostly asian pear saplings. I've hadgood resultswith usingIrish Spring bar soap grated and placed in old stockings and tied around thesaplings or tied to a short stake placed next to a plant. But if they get hungry enough they'll ignore anything.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

Why do I have a feeling this picture was taken in a park
Just by looking at the paved trails, I think you're right.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Just by looking at the paved trails, I think you're right.
LOL. I see a paved driveway with a front walk up to a house. Could be right however and I certainly understand how we as hunters, are a little paranoid.

I have heard of some sort of string you can buy whihc deters the deer. Size of twine and green in colour.I saw an example of this used at a food plot. They would string half the plot to keep the deer out to let it mature. The unstrung side was hammered down to a couple inches and the protected side was about 2-3 feet tall. The plot was rotated to always allow a side to recover and offer lush food.

Anyone hear of this stuff? It looked like the definite answer.

Quick Reply: What to do about a dozen deers that ate all my plants? (multiple pix)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.