HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to waterfowling...need help
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 06:42 PM
South County

Default RE: New to waterfowling...need help

I have never used motorized decoys for geese, but do know they love a little movement. I have seen some new decoys out that will move slightly with the wind but cant remember the brand name. The motorized duck decoyhas worked well for me.I was taught to keep the ducks in a closer with the geese out farther. Also, with some seperation between the 2. Obviously the wind anda whole to for them to pitch into are the 2 most important things to consider.

I'm not a very good caller myself. I did purchase a Sean Mann goose call about 2 seasons agothat came with an instuctional cassette. I know it may sound a little corny but it greatly helped my calling with good results. I would play it whenever I was driving and practice. I have the eastern shoreman and have not yet mastered it, so when the geese are getting close I will sometimes go to my scoby which is a little softer and easier to control. Listen to the birds and try to mimick their volume, patterns & tone.

As far as missing geese.... I started hunting at young age. I picked up on dropping ducks before I did geese. My 1st couple seasons I continued to miss geese but shoot ducks well. Finally my grandfather told me to just settle the **** down, not to over think and just aim for the white on the side of their **** heads. I've been droppin em ever since!!!!!!! I was leading them too much. All I ever heard was "you got to lead them" and I was, too much. Obviously your lead changes with a variety of factors but the point still stands.