HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 04:25 AM
Straightarrow

Default RE: What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

I won't mention the brand, because I sincerely believe the brand is the least important aspect of choosing a bow.

I always choose my bows for the same reason. I want at least an 8" brace height, because it assures that when shooting at an odd angle with my heaviest hunting jacket on, the string won't hit my sleeve on release.

I always pick a bow with an ATA in the 35-36" range. This is the lengthh that puts the string in the right position for my multiple anchors points.

I then look for a cam that I feel will give me a straight nock travel. I'm currently shooting a hybrid cam bow, and love how a broadhead flies out of this configuration. I've also seen some single cams that give good flight, and some that didn't. I won't buy into a cam type, until I confirm that a broadhead flies like a field tip out of it.

The last component I look at is the grip. I want one that promotes a repeatable hand placement. A comfortable grip has no bearing on how well you will shoot and is seldom a factor in what makes a good grip.

If a bow gives me all this, it's on the list. I then narrow it down by the little, less meaningful things. Amount of reflex, hand shock and the all important - camo pattern. I can make any modern bow a quiet bow, so I don't even concern myself with that.

If there happens to be more than one bow still on the list after all this, I will pick the one sold by the bow shop with the best reputation of standing behind the products they sell.