HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - cva bobcat
Thread: cva bobcat
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 04:56 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cva bobcat

ORIGINAL: eddiep770

i just bought a cvabobcat 50 caliber 1:48twistand it had no instrustions and i'm don't know very much about blackpower guns.does anyone know if you have to use the round balls or can i use maxi-hunter 50 cal.hollowpoints.any help will be appreciated
I shoot a CVA Mountain Stalker which is the same thing as your Bobcat except it was sold by Bass Pro and they changed the name. While my rifle will shoot maxi ball and powerbelts pretty good actually, it really shines with roundball.

I shoot 80 grains of Triple Se7en 2f, a wonder wad, and a .015 pillow tick patch and Speer roundball. A couple deer found out the hard way to not get too close to me one afternoon with this rifle. It knocked them flat.

As for the sights, they can get hard to spot in low light, so I took some white out (type correction fluid)and and painted my front site. It really helped. After that I finally threw a set of cheap fiber optic sights on the rifle.

When you swab the barrel, use pure isopropyl alcohol 91% and swab with that. It will cut down on the hang fires and misfires with the rifle. Also getting a hot shot nipple for the rifle will really make that a shooter. Also be sure to pop a few caps through the rifle before the first time loading. It will clear the fire channel and make the rifle much more likely to fire the first time you need it.

Be sure and check the alignment of the hammer to the nipple. It was one of the few problems that the Bobcat did have besides the poor quality factory nipple.