HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - And another state has done it right.....Minnesota
Old 10-15-2006, 11:42 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: And another state has done it right.....Minnesota

Let me first point out, the elimination of smokeless powder does not effect me in the least. I do not own nor intend to purchase a rifle capable of shooting smokeless powder. Also, it is my understanding that many of the "smokeless powder rifles" will shoot substitute powders equally as well and in some cases even better then most other muzzleloaders. I also support the right of each State to manage their hunting seasons through laws and regulation as they best see fit to benefit the sport and the overall experience.

With that said, I still find this new modificationunacceptable and even somewhat disturbing. Now granted I am basing this on the assumption that at one time smokeless powder was permitted in Minnesota during the muzzleloader season. If it were not, then this is a mute point and I apologize for the rant.

The disturbing part is that if prior use of smokeless powder was permitted, I really cringe to see the State of Minnesota "change their mind" if you will, and then ban the powder. What you are looking at is the State changing a past practice that once effected a hunters' experiencesin their State. When you see one side start changing past practices, it opens a whole Pandora's Box for future changes if the State so wishes.

We just had a posting by Roundball about some of the Toby Bridges opinions and views. I believe one of the opinions of Mr. Bridges was he suggestedan outlaw to use of round ball as a hunting projectile because of the ballistics and energy the projectile displays at set distances. The almost immediate outrage at this suggestion was apparent, of which I also was in agreement too. While Mr. Bridges supported his opinion with ballistics, most poster seemed to be willing to ignore the facts and base their stance on past practice and field resultsof the roundball. We saw a call to arms by some that muzzleloader hunters, traditional and inlines shootersas a whole, need to group together to see that these kind of changes can not be made.

Now we see the issue of smokeless powder being banned. While this does not effect, lets say for sake of argument with out statistical facts 95% of the muzzleloading population, I see posters more then willing to change this aspect of the law or past practice. Why, because they do not feel it is right and they don't like smokeless powder in their playing field, just as many traditional shooters hate the idea of inlines in general in their playing field. I guess the call to arms and the grouping of all to act as a voice for muzzleloaders is only important when it meets our personal agenda with some.

To end this rant, I support all of you and your passion of muzzleloaders. Your opinions are important as are your views. Again, while I do not have a need for smokeless powder, I would support any hunter that used smokeless powder in a muzzleloader, abiding by all other rules of that State. Especially where this use of smokeless powder was once considered a legal alternative. Now had smokeless powder been brought up as an alternative and was voted down by the State, fine.. not a problem or even an issue. State's rights and all. But I personally feel if you support one aspect of muzzleloading, then you support them all.