HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - chessie or lab?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 09:37 AM
drgildy

Default RE: chessie or lab?

In reply to Swamp rooster. I raised labs for about 30 years and will always have a soft place in my heart for them but had to reply to sime false info that you are diseminating. Most labs are very accomodating loving dogs but they are not all that way. I have seen them turn on handlers and others also. The popularity of labs I believe has now become a hindrance to the breed. Too many indiscriminate backyard breeders are just throwing a couple of "black dogs" together and trying to cut a fat hog with the hype of labs are best. I had a chessie about 50 years ago and he was a tough ornery hombre. Since I have quit raising labs myself I had two that I paid good money for and neither had a coat that will take the weather I hunt inso I cut my losses and dumped both for pets and got a Chessie. The first that I had a male was easy to train and go od at breaking ice without a life preserver that I see so often on labs nowadays. Due to a health problem I had to put him down. I now have a little Chessie bitch (90lbs) and she has the best nose I have ever seen on a retriever and she is as sweet and gentle as any laqb I ever had. The point of all this is don't knock another breed unless you have personal experience with breed and not just with one dog. Sorry I am a little long winded but I just wanted to clear this up a bit. My Chessie just spent the last two days breaking ice and retrieved 30 ducks and 6 geese was coated with ice most of the days and when my little grand kids are over later today they will be hugging and playing with her also