HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Day Riuned
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2002, 07:04 AM
deaf predator

Default First Day Riuned

I just wanted to let you all know about my first day of rifle season in Upstate New York. I was set up on some private land by the Cannonsville Reservoir that I was previously bow hunting on, and the evening before opening day, a group of New Jersey hunters were up and took it upon themselves to remove my portable treestand off of the private land that I was hunting on. They did not even ask the land owner for permission. Instead they intimidated him and left my treestand on the road. I talked to them the previous day, out of courtesy and safety concerns, and there was not a problem. I told them exactly where I had been hunting during bow season, and left it at that. I thought everything was fine. I spent all day sunday helping my buddy post some private land up by oquaga lake only to return home wet, exausted, and cold with the news that the "city hunters" pulled a fast one on me. I went up and retrieved my stand in the dark, (luckily it was still there) My 10 year old son was with me asking me why I am not hunting there on opening day, I just told him that there are some people that are very greedy and not real sportsmen
in the woods and I would have to find another place to hunt. I think I did the right thing by leaving and not returning. This particular group of hnters trespass all over on private land without permission to do so. They also own 25 acres of their own. That htey don't seem to hunt on) I do not need to hunt around people like that, so I went elsewhere. It just pains me to think that they probably killed the little does and button bucks up there without giving them a chance to get bigger and smarter. People like them guys make us all look bad. I'd just as soon not hunt anywhere near them. I am deaf, so hunting is a real challenge to me. I also own property on the west branch of the delaware river where I let everybody and anybody have access to the river to fish for the world famous browns. I have met many great sportsmen, celebrities, and folks from all over the planet. All the property is posted all around, except for mine. I made the right decision. I feel that I am a true sportsman and I would not trade taht for anything in the world.