HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hunting with the women
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 06:53 AM
animalized

Default RE: hunting with the women

I too, am one of the VERY lucky ones. My wife (of 21 years) absolutely LOVES hunting and every aspect of it. Let me tell you about getting her started. The very first time I took her with me, she wasn't into it just yet. She already had a high interest and was already shooting archery, but hadn't totally committed yet. So, I take her with me one day to see if she would want to pursue it further. I had everything set up for us to sit together and we weren't even in the stands about 10 minutes, and the rain started. I mean, it rained pretty hard and all morning. We saw quite a few deer but never got an opportunity for a shot and needless to say got soaked to the bone. I know some of you are thinking, "that must have did it for her", but nope, in fact, she was hooked. Even after a miserable day like that, the sport of bowhunting was running rampid through her blood.

That was about 7 years ago and she has been my hunting partner ever since. I'm extremely happy that it turned out that way too, and for a couple different reasons.
1- I now get to spend time doing a sport that I love, with the person that I love. You think sitting there trading hunting stories with your buddies is cool? Well, this is even better than that. My wife and I have great stories/memories that include BOTH of us. Yes, she has filled her share of tags to help contribute to the stories.
2- Before my wife got started in this, I hunted with a couple of my buddies. The land we hunted on was land that I obtained and was given permission to let them hunt with me. The treestands that were on this land, were all mine and all the work done to put them up every year was done by me. NOT ONCE did my buddies come in and help do any of the work but yet, come deer season, they had their gear all ready to go and couldn't wait for the season to start. Oooops, forgot, I DID have help doing treestands. YES, my WIFE!! She was always right there helping me any way she could. Never once complained or anything. So, I figured, why not benefit from this and now I do. I have a hunting partner that shares in the workload now, a hunting partner that helps fill MY freezer and best of all, if she doesn't happen to cash in on her tag, it gives ME a second tag to work on But, that doesn't happen a lot.

I'd just like to say, the guys/gals that don't or can't get their spouses involved in this with them, are truely missing out on something special. Something that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world and I thank GOD that I was one of the fortunate ones!!!