HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - chessie or lab?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 09:53 AM
tatonka
Fork Horn

Default RE: chessie or lab?

Deer Beer,
Either breed will do what you are wanting. The key is to find a reputable breeder. Labs are a dime a dozen........but good Labs are not. Everybody and their brother is breeding Labs these days. I can look in the newspaper any day of the week and find a litter of Labs (usually several) and the "Free" column always has people wanting to give away Labs. So, be very careful. Not very many well established, reputable Lab breeders advertise in local newspapers....a few do, but most donot. Many will have a waiting list for pups.

You are going to pay for a well bred Lab or Chessie. It costs a lot of money to breed dogs and to do it right. OFA and CERF certifications cost money, say nothing about vet bills, equipment, dog food, training equipment, etc. I can't put a dollar figure on a pup as it varies a lot, but generally speaking a well bred Chessie or Lab is going to cost you between $500 and $1,000. Some are even more.

The differences between the two? Labs have the reputation for being an easy dog to train. Pros love them for that reason. Chessies develop slower....they really don't mature until they are between 2 and 3 years of age.The Chessie coat allows it to withstand very cold temperatures, but Labs have a good coat too.....not as dense as a Chessies, but close. Many negative things have been written about the Chessie temperament and most are not true. I've read that it "take a 2X4 to train a Chessie". Nothing could be further from the truth....it takes patience and a gentle hand to train a Chessie. If you treat a Chessie roughly, he'll quit on you. You will notice that many, many Chessie breeders are women......I believe that is because women tend to be gentler and more patient than a lot of men.
It will be easier for you to find a well-bred Lab than a well-bred Chessie......there are more of them around. Just take your time and do your homework. Chances are you'll end up with a great pup regardless of which breed you decide on if you find the right breeder.

Good Luck!