HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 460 S&W
Thread: 460 S&W
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 02:49 AM
sheadjohn

Default RE: 460 S&W

I own a 460 S&W. It is a very large handgun. It makes a Ruger 44 SuperRedHawk feel small. The extra weight makes most 454 rounds quite managable when compared to lighter weight platforms. When I hold mine it is balanced forword, this feeling goes away however when you pull the trigger. Light fast 200 gr hornadys are not bad on the hands or wrists. Corbon 395 LFNs will wake you up and anyone around you on the firing line. I have found that it shoots many different rounds quite well, but I have not found a round that groups in the same place as the Hornady 200. So far I like a Hornady 240 Mag HP in the 460 case handloaded. It groups well and predicatably to a relative point with 45colts and 454s. I have mounted a burris scope and carry it in the S&W side holster from their site. It is heavy but managable. I am 5'-11' and 180 lbs. I would not recomend it for a female frame if she has to carry it around. For accuracy while shooting; a shooting pole works nicely, but to each his or her own. I have used it to hunt hogs and it makes a nice big hole. I would go as far to say that loaded with a sturdy jacked or hard lead round that 'shield' of a hog matters little with a placed shot.