HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Winchester 1400 ranger
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 06:59 AM
vaughnm

Default RE: Winchester 1400 ranger

I'm not sure about the 1400 ranger but I have owned a Winchester 1400 12ga for 38 years. I have killed deer with it and still shoot doves and skeet on occasioneven though I also have a Beretta 39120gaand Winchester SX2 Lightwieght 12ga(both of which I bought because they reminded me ofnewer versions ofthe 1400). I have probably ran through 5000+ rounds in the gun and had abouta6-10 jams. They all camewhile shooting dirty discount store1 oz field loads while dove hunting. Never jammed while shooting premium stuff.

I really liked the gun. It was ahead of its time with the light weight alloy receiver - my dad had an Remington 1100 but I always grabbed the 1400 because of thelighter weight. I will say that if you get the 1400 youshould keep it clean and the bolt lubed for maximum fun. The gas systemdoesn't like residue buildupand if you don't do a good job resizing reloads, they to can be a problem. In short this isn't really a gun to enter a critical clays competition with but if you want a lighter field gun and don't minda quick cleaning after a hunt or round of clays withyour buddies, it should serve you well.