HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Techniques for a Beginner
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 11:58 AM
pyral

Default Techniques for a Beginner

Alright guys, I got my bow off layaway and I absolutely love it! And the salesman quickly outfitted me with a glove, arrows that he said were properly spined (I have no knoledge of how to test) and a stringer. All at 25% off since I was the first Traditional customer he had in a while and hoped I came back (which I assured him was certain since he is the only shop in my area). My only problem is that I am not very consistent. Tom, the salesman, was a very knowledgeable shooter from what I discerned and said he would be happy to give me some pointers on shooting if I ever made it back but it was raining that day and I haven't had the chance to go back as of yet.

I have gotten to the point that I can hit a 6" circle at 10yds and a 10" circle at 15yds pretty commonly but my consistency is questionable at best. On one set of six, I can group all the arrows in the six inch circle (10-13yds.) and then on the next set I may miss the target altogether. And this has no progressive pattern, as in the longer I shoot, the worse I get. On the Contrary, I can shoot and hit, miss, miss, hit, hit, miss, hit, hit. Get the picture? I am just curious as to what proper form would be for a beginner trying to get the basics down? I definitely am more comfortable with a one over hold as opposed to three under. I am anchoring in the corner of my mouth with my middle finger. Should I cant the bow? If so, 45, 60, 75 degrees?

Here is the technical info that may help in discerning my problems. I am 6'3" with quite a span, my bow is a 62" Takedown recurve with a 47lbs@28" draw weight. I am shooting 30" spined for a 45-50lbs with 125gr. field points. I have only had the bow for about a week, and I am aware that the major improvements will come with time, but I just feel that I am missing something here. I will cherish any information you can part with and I will do my best to put it to use.

I apologize for rambling but just consider it insider information on my biography.

Thanks again

"Clutz by Nature, Hospitalized by Fate..."

Pyral