HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I shot my First elk
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 10:17 AM
stinkbelly

Default I shot my First elk

I shot my first elk on Sept 6 at 3pm. I had ben stalking all day an saw 3 elk prior to the one I shot. I jumped her (a calf) at 20 yards while stalking a bull I had seen in previous years. She jumped and ran. I hoochie mamaed her and calmed her down. I stalked into 40 yards and let'er fly. Something went wrong. I hit the tree behind her. I don't know if my sites were off or she ducked. She ran and I hoochie mamaed her again. She stopped and looked at the arrow. It then began to rain and she ran off. I followed the direction she ran and about a quarter mile later I found her. I stalked in and then began to call. The hoochie mama made her turn and walk towards me. She was angling towards me near 40 yards. I thought it was 30 and put the 30 yard pin on her. I nailed her about an inch or two forward. My pins were off for trajectory. It was raining, so I followed the blood trail immediately. It was about 2 feet wide. She ran near 50 yards. Within 3 minutes of the shot, I had my first elk at my feet.