HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 AM
BareBack Jack
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

Shato,
If you wanna go every year Colorado OCT are the way to go,Montana a WY are draw and due to points can take some time.
You don't need a guide only when you get a outfitter sponserd licence.You can apply for a Big game combo and get a Deer A and a Elk (depending on what area is whats leagle).

Since you mentioned a Wilderness hunt,you must be talking about horse and mules.The way I figure it for a weeks hunt for 2 guys is about 6 horses(2 to ride and 4 to pack).
Your going to need Pack saddles and riggings,panierrs,rope,lead ropes and halters.Now the ones you ride are going to need briddles,halters,lead ropes & saddles.
You are going to need hobbles or run a picket line or portable corrall.Plus pack food for the animals like pellets or hay.
You need a tent,frame,stove,saw,tarps,rope stakes,stakes,ax,hammer,nails,duct tape, cooking & eating utensils and food.
That should get you started then pack all your normal gear like clothes,hunting supplies,hunting gear and survival gear like first aid and locator becon and flares.
It take alot of cash to get started but if you doit over a couple years and have a buddy to help split the costs it's not so bad.
OR
You can do the camper hunt,I have done this also.Pick a area and set-up a camp just out side of the area you wan't to hunt and go every morrning.This offers alot of mobility and plus takes away from the added cost of horses,or you can doit with horses also.I have put a pick-up camper in the bed and pulled the horse trailer behind and hunted that way.
It's up to you and what you need,a good one to talk to is EKM as he has it down to a science.
BBJ