HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 09:52 AM
ShatoDavis

Default Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

Hey folks I need some help/advice. I love the mountains. I've been lucky enough to go on three elk hunts in my life. Each time was with a guide. Once in montana, and twice in British Columbia. I had great time at each and have nothing but good things to say about my experiences. Here's the deal though. I can't afford to go as often as I want. So I'm comtemplating DIY hunts.

I have no worries at all about my wood skills. I was raised on a farm and in the woods. I know I got the chops so to speak. I'm excellent with horses so I think I can pull it off. So I guess what I'm getting at is what equipment do I need to pack in to the back country that I love. Don't leave anything out. I know quite a bit but there might be some stuff I'm overlooking. So let me have your ideas.

Next I guess I would like to ask where? I love montana and wyoming but I think you have to use a guide to hunt the wilderness areas. There must be a state that I can go to do what I'm considering. any help would be greatly appreciated.

OBTW I love to elk hunt but its not a must. Just being in the mountains is what I'm after. Elk,Deer, Moose, anything to get me there.