HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - newbie needs advice
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 02:53 PM
chr103yod

Default RE: newbie needs advice

For bow hunting I would highly recommend a tree stand. It will make your life a lot easier. You don't have to worry about scent as much and you can see a lot better. The only place I hunt is public land and I always use a climbing stand. You can take it in and out with you and you don't have to worry about it getting stolen. Hang on stands are good too but you do run the risk of it getting stolen even if you chain it up. On a small budget I think I would buy a Gorilla Climber from Walmart. I just seen one yesterday for $90. I almost bought it for my son. Ol Man sold some of their designs to Gorilla so it's almost exactly like an Ol man stand. I have an Ol Man climber and it has been a great stand for many years but it cost me around $200. If you decide on a lock on stand I think I would pick up a cheap one around $30-$40 and chain it to a tree and remove the steps. If it does get stolen your only out $30. One more thing to consider is in a lot of states you can't use screw in steps on Public land so you have to use something that straps to the tree. Some of the tree steps can get more expensive than the stand itself.I don't know how much money you want to spend on a stand but for under $100 I think the Gorilla climber is the way to go. The only other thing I would worry about is the safety harness they give you with the stand. Some of them are pretty cheap. I bought a Seat of the Pants full body harness. It was expensive, but I'm confident it would save my life if I fell. I hope this helps. Good luck.