HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bow stand set-ups.
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 03:49 PM
JoshKeller
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow stand set-ups.

Josh, brush that puppy in. When I used old ladder stands like that I painted them with water base paint in a camo patter in April or May and left them out in the rain until August when I put them up. Platform is not level( a real pain when you're trying to stand and turn quietly with deer within range. When you build those puppies, put the runners for the seat and the platform at a slight uphill angle running away from the ladder. That way you can have the ladder at an angle outward from the tree making it easier to climb, yet have a level platform and seat. Also, you don't need braces that large(2x4) for supports. A strip of 1x3 will do the same thing only lighter. I put carpenters glue and sheet rock type screws in rather than nails. The screws pull it tight, don't splinter the wood and the glue bonds it all forever.

Yeah, that picture was immediately after I put it up. It's camo'd now, and I nailed some brush to it. It was a boneheaded move by not compensating for the angle of the ladder. I pulled it down today and rebuilt the top, much less lean to it.