HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Blood trailing
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 10:24 AM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default Blood trailing

Through the years I have preferred a Coleman lantern for trailing deer...It seems to illuminate the blood trail...But as you know a Coleman is a little bulky and has some disadvantages....Last year, my little brother shot a doe that was quartering toward him...He hit the deer about 4 inches behind the shoulder and the bullet exited out the guts, plugging the exit hole...The deer went about 150 yards, through a pine thicket, towards the swamp....I had my 3-D cell MagLight on my 4-wheeler and he had his as well...I also wear a head light, as I wear contacts and it helps to have this on to keep limbs out of my face....We had tracked the deer about 75 yards as she was only leaving a couple of drops every 20 yards or so, it was slow going...Finally the blood trail started getting thicker...My brother was behind me and stopped for a break, as we had been on our hands and knees looking for blood....For some reason I cut off my MagLight and noticed that with the headlight the blood really stood out...It reflected the blue light of the LED...I pulled out my small AA MagLight as I had replaced the bulb with a LED as well....The woods lit up with blood...My brother walked up with his MagLight...the blood disapeared...It seems that the bright white light of the 3-D Maglite was hindering my being able to see the blood trail....I had my brother stay where he was and literally walked the last 50 yards to his deer...

Just wanted to let you guys know...The headlight was a Aurora from Princeton Tec....I have purchased one of the LED replacement lights for my 3-D cell MagLight...I'll try it again during bow season...