HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - sweaty shivers
Thread: sweaty shivers
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2002, 09:39 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: sweaty shivers

I hear yeah, I am a sweat hog on the way to my sitting spots and my average walk is about 1/2 mile one way. The temperatures up in frost land can be in 20 below zero C, so fairly crisp. Here is what i do;

Polypropelene long johns and shirt set (Helly Hansen-med density)
Polypropelene socks and a pair of good woolies over top
Fleece pants and outer outfit fleece pant(we have to wear colours during gun)
Wool sweater
Fleece mock
Thinsulate jacket (thin and light) when warranted
Outer Jacket - Fleece (colours)
Pair of Gortex 800-1000 Gram thin. boots
Cotton Gloves(spare pairs to replace when wet)
Wool or fleece finger mitts with the hand flaps
Set of hand warmers to tuck in the mitten
Food (PBJ snadies, Cereal Bars, etc.)
Water (Don't drink things with caffine(pop, reg. coffee or tea) they make you void, which deregulates your body temp.)

Other things i do:
Shower in the morning, eat oatmeal and drink OJ. I place anti. on my knee joints, feet and underarms. Then i get dressed, in the porch where it is cool. Drive to my spot with the truck just warm enough to keep the frost off the windows.

When I walk in in the am I wear just the wool sweater and outer fleece Jacket (colours) on top...bottoms are as above. I wear a pair of cotton gloves in. Once I reach my spot I sit and cool down a bit, then layer up & replace my hand wear. Never do i start off with the hand warmers...I have found with wearing small weight gloves during walking your hand will become use to the climate, then when replace with a dry pair and the mitts they are very comfortable...but sometimed sweat a bit.