HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - sweaty shivers
Thread: sweaty shivers
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2002, 09:12 AM
springgobbler

Default RE: sweaty shivers

.270-
Rod makes some good points and gives some good tips. Dress in layers and add the heavier ones once you get to your stand or blind. I will quite often put on my base layer and pack my shirt and jacket it to add once at my stand site...it seems to work pretty good.

I work as a rafting guide during the spring and fall and finding stuff to keep you warm while wet is essential. Some things I have learned:

- Cotton is not a great fabric for stenuous outside activity. Once wet...it's done. You will be warmer with exposed skin than with wet cotton...trust me.

- If buying synthetic under garments and fleece, buy the highest quality you can afford.

I have used Patagonia 'capilene' fleece and underwear for years now and highly recommend them. They are a bit pricey, but they will last a long, long time. I have some silk-weight undershirts that I have used for more than 7 years and they are still as good as new. Also, with Patagonia garments, if you ever have a problem with them...they will replace them, no questions asked. I had a mid-weight zip-neck fleece that the zipper broke (after 5 years of service) and they sent me a brand new one.

So, to answer your question...yes, they do work. Be warned though that some of the cheap ones will not last long. Another word of advice. If you purchase the polypropelene underwear, do not dry it in the dryer on very high heat or it will shrink up to a dog sweater....I have learned this the hard way also.

Good luck and stay warm!

Pat in WV