HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Broadhead over hand?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Broadhead over hand?

Ok crutch I just read your PM and I think you are measuring your draw length wrong. I'm going to describe how to measure it and have you do it again for me. This will give us a good idea of what your actual draw length is. I'm not concerned right now with what your over all arrow length is, just your AMO draw length for that set up.

You can check your AMO draw length by drawing an arrow and having someone mark the arrow right above where your hand touches the grip. This is usually lined up with the hole you use to mount the rest. It's called the berger button hole. This is also the same place you would measure brace height from. With your arrow marked leave it on the string and put a tape measure under the arrow touching the string and measure to the mark. Add 1.75 inches this. That is your AMO draw length.

Your proper AMO arrow length is stated as 1 inch past where your arrows contact your rest. However this is assuming your rest is set up in the conventional spot. Most new drop a ways are not. The correct position for your rest would put the point where your arrow contacts your rest directly over your grip. The same point you should have marked your arrow at. Again it should be somewhere close to your berger butten hole. This is the most forgiving place for rest placement because it minimizes torque variances on the arrow at full draw. Most people shoot 1 or 2 inches of overdraw now. So your correct AMO arrow length should figure up to be 3/4 of inch less than your AMO draw length.

THIS is the length the charts and online calculators use. So if you don't have the correct arrow length it will throw them off because they think you have a different draw length since they never even ask for your actual draw length.

Sooo, once you figure this parameter out get back with me. A quick question, is your current rest set up the way I described above? You said it was a quicktune 1000, if I remember correctly this is a fairly simple prong rest, so it should be set up in this way. If it's not I suggest making it so.

I also need to know what your actual peak draw weight is right now. Not what the bow can go to, but what it's set at right now. And it would be great if you knew how fast it would shoot a specific weight arrow and what you have on the string like type of peep, brass nock/string loop.

If you can post a pic of the rest on the bow for me. If it's a big pain in the butt it's not that important really.

Good luck,
Paul