HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Powder Measuring Accuracy?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 07:37 AM
HighDesertWolf
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Powder Measuring Accuracy?

I have a hornady lock n load powder measure on my lock n load AP progressive press with most flake powders it throws to within 2 tenths of a grain I havent tried anything else yet but I hear it will throw to within 1 tenth with ball powder. I also have 3 lee powder measures usually set to which ever calibers i might be loading so I dont have to keep fumbling with adjusting a single powder measure. its pretty nice too you can buy 3 lee measures for the price of one rcbs and the lees are more accurate, just not as sturdy. with stick or ball powder the lees throw to within 1 to 2 tenths of a grain, with rifle calibers 2 tenths doesnt make any difference really atleast none that I can tell and I got tired of using a trickler, IMO trickling loads is anal and a bit of a waste of time. with flake powders the lees throw to 3 tenths of a grain which can make some difference in pistol calibers pressures so to keep things safe my pistol calibers I'll load 3 tenths under max load. I use to not do that but once in awhile i would get a hot load that would split a case with my 357 mags.

when you say 3 beam scale you mean a 3 poise scale correct? meaning it has 3 adjustable weights. a 2 poise scale is fine it will do what you need but I personally prefer a 3 poise scale.