Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Powder Measuring Accuracy? >

Powder Measuring Accuracy?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Powder Measuring Accuracy?

Old 08-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Powder Measuring Accuracy?

Hey guys,

How accurate are you with your powder measures?

Last night I figured out how to use my scale and keep an eye on it to make sure it wasn't way off. (I found the scale to be off by 6gr a few times).

After figuring it out I was able to get it to within about 1gr. Is this going to be good enough? Do I need to get a 3 Beam scale?

Tom
Old 08-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Powder Measuring Accuracy?

Here's what I do in case it's of any assistance to you. I use a Lee Perfect powder measure to throw charges about1/2 grain less than what I want. The Lee is an inexpensive measure and looks and feels like a piece of crap, but it's surprisingly accurate. I then weigh the charge on my Redding beam scale and trickle up to the weight I want. I'm not a big volume reloader, so this works well for me. I've used a PACT BBK electronic scale also, but found it to be too unreliable. What kind of scale do you have BTW?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a hornady lock n load powder measure on my lock n load AP progressive press with most flake powders it throws to within 2 tenths of a grain I havent tried anything else yet but I hear it will throw to within 1 tenth with ball powder. I also have 3 lee powder measures usually set to which ever calibers i might be loading so I dont have to keep fumbling with adjusting a single powder measure. its pretty nice too you can buy 3 lee measures for the price of one rcbs and the lees are more accurate, just not as sturdy. with stick or ball powder the lees throw to within 1 to 2 tenths of a grain, with rifle calibers 2 tenths doesnt make any difference really atleast none that I can tell and I got tired of using a trickler, IMO trickling loads is anal and a bit of a waste of time. with flake powders the lees throw to 3 tenths of a grain which can make some difference in pistol calibers pressures so to keep things safe my pistol calibers I'll load 3 tenths under max load. I use to not do that but once in awhile i would get a hot load that would split a case with my 357 mags.

when you say 3 beam scale you mean a 3 poise scale correct? meaning it has 3 adjustable weights. a 2 poise scale is fine it will do what you need but I personally prefer a 3 poise scale.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:10 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: statjunk

After figuring it out I was able to get it to within about 1gr. Is this going to be good enough? Do I need to get a 3 Beam scale?

Tom
Yes, I insist in always have a beam scale. You want to measure your loads on something accurate to .1gr IMO. I have seen too many reloaders come back from the range shooting fine and all the sudden brass locks up in thier gun to find out their digital scale gets out of wack because the wife fires up the dryer, or a hairdryer or any other electromagnetic appliance in the house.Very dangerous.

Now if you are talking powder thrower, I just can't get any of them to throw accurately unless its ball powder. And I generally don't use ball unless I loading pistols.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with bigcountry. I use an RCBS 505 scale for all my rifle loads. I set the powder thrower just shy of the intended charge and use a trickler to bring each charge up to the correct weight. I have an old Pacific powder thrower. and probably like most, extruded powders are the 'toughest' to throw accurately. When I am loading for my handguns using flake or ball powder the thrower is very accurate. I usually weigh every 10th charge to be sure the thrower hasn't changed its charge weight.
Its amazing when you read some reloading manuals that state that the powder charge is the least important characteristic to accuracy. Yet you have a lot of experienced reloaders, including myself, that weigh each charge and note a noticable difference in load accuracy with a variation in charge by aslittle as 1/2 a grain of powder. And yo also have guys just charging their cases directly from their powder thrower or using the 'dipping' method like the Lee dippers to charge their cases. Thsi could be very dangerous especially when using max or close to max charges.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with what has been previously said by big country and bronko about powder throwers. I have an RCBS unit that I use only for my handgun loads using H4227. I also periodically verify what it's throwing using my beam scale. I load ALL my rifle loads using the beam scale. Used to use an electronic balance, but found out I couldn't trust it. Most large rifle powders are generally too coarse to feed well through a thrower, in my opinion. Due to their size and shape, it becomes difficult to keep the voids in the filled tumbler uniform, which in turn results in uneven charge weights being thrown. This is why a finer graded flake or small ball powder more suited for handguns will work better in a thrower. I would advise you to stick with the beam balance.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Lee measure works quite well even with stick powders. That's why I tend to like it so much.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:40 PM
bigcountry

sol, I hate lee equipment but if it throws 7828 real nice, I would definetly give it a try.

One thing I did on Brimans recomendation was get a powder baffle. It helps.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

sol, I hate lee equipment but if it throws 7828 real nice, I would definetly give it a try.

see thats the thing about the rcbs thrower its horrible about throwing a charge accurately unless you get a powder baffle. IMO thats a poor design if you have to get an after market part to get it to work right. My lee's throw to within 2 tenths of a grain with both Varget and H4895 and to 1 tenth with BL-C2. with hodgdon clays they'll throw to within 1 tenth but with green dot and unique it throws to within 3 tenths but I feel thats more the powders fault then the measure.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:14 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

see thats the thing about the rcbs thrower its horrible about throwing a charge accurately unless you get a powder baffle. IMO thats a poor design if you have to get an after market part to get it to work right. My lee's throw to within 2 tenths of a grain with both Varget and H4895 and to 1 tenth with BL-C2. with hodgdon clays they'll throw to within 1 tenth but with green dot and unique it throws to within 3 tenths but I feel thats more the powders fault then the measure.
Ok, HDW, I found a few on ebay, and going to get em on your recommendation. If it doesn't work its all your fault, but I plan on seeing it throw 74gr of 7828 or 4350within .2gr each time. Well see. You might make me a lee believer yet.

Quick Reply: Powder Measuring Accuracy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.