HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pro shop to fix tuning issues?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 06:33 AM
gselkhunter
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pro shop to fix tuning issues?

Focus on the spot you want to hit, this turned into the hair I wanted to hit on an animal. The trick was there wasn't a taget, just a spot twice the size of your arrow shaft, that was the focus. Breath[exhale slowly], keeps everything flowing and calm. And when the pin hit the spot tighten the shoulder muscle and the arrow is gone. Don't think about the shot, just go make it. Example, I blew my first ram shot in 2000, started thinking about getting my feet set, canting the bow to the hillside, distance and I think I even held my breath and shot low on a 40yds shot on a nice 3/4 curl ram. And it was an easy staulk in the trees and a level ground shot. Never should have missed that shot! It is one I have made thousands of times over, started thinking, don't think shoot!
2nd ram, very hard 3 hr open ground staulk, shooting slightly up hill, 55yd shot[no range finder], 10 minutes of shooting time left. Had time to come to my knees, drawing as I rose, exhaling as I picked the spot[a dirt clump]and hit the split between 50 and 60 yd pins and the arrow was gone, I don't even remember the release, just the dirt clump. The deal was there were 5 rams and it was a now or never shot on a full curl ram. As soon as started I rise, I was spotted by the other rams, there was no time and I knew it. But from all the work on the range, it just fell into place. I judge my distance before I start the shot and I don't second guess myself, again just shoot. Make up your mind on what you are going to do before you start the shot, then just focus on the spot. There is no score, there is no last or next shot, just this shot. I can tell the shooters at a tournament, from the rest of the guys. Focused, they don't tinker with their bow, most of them don't say much, machines. They walk up and make shots. Their undoing comes when they make mistakes, they are too tight, can't let it go. Be loose, it is OK to have fun, but when it comes time to shoot, the spot is all that matters. And the full curl is on my wall, the dirt clump didn't survive.
Gselkhunter