Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Pro shop to fix tuning issues? >

Pro shop to fix tuning issues?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pro shop to fix tuning issues?

Old 05-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pro shop to fix tuning issues?

Guys,

How many of you utilize a local pro shop to assist with tuning your bows? I've always done this personally, but this year I'm struggling with some fine tuning and wanted to know if you would stick it out and spend the rest of the summer working yourself, or seek the help of a local professional? It's minor for me and I probably can get it fixed soon, but just thought of the question.

Kelly
Old 05-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pro shop to fix tuning issues?

I do all my own tuning and other work on my bows
Old 05-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't mind taking it to a competent pro shop (which are few and far between around here) provided I could look over his shoulder and watch so I would know what it was I missed for next time.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't because I have the knowledge, experience and skill to tune my bows a lot better than anyone else can.

On the other hand, there are way too many guys who wind up going to the woods every year with untuned, even mismatched,equipment. I wish to goodness they hadtheintellectual capacitytopay somebody to do it for them. Even a basic shop tune would be better than no tune at all.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shop in them and enjoy learning something knew. Many are nothing more than a retailer though, which is fine with me. I've never been in one that was operated by someone as passionetas some onthese forums. I know there out there, just never met one. Would love too have a braek some time and the need is so big while the supply is so small I'm thinking of opening a place in the distant furture with my brother who is into firearms and taxidermy.

To answer your question, sure. The guy could use me as much as I, him.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

If you happen to be one of those who happen to be "arrow flight anal" then the typical shop tuning will probably never be "good enough" for you.

Most shops out there are perfectly capable of tuning a bow to achieve good arrow flight (certainly better than most people shoot), however when it comes to really getting it perfectly dialed in, most shops can't spend the time putting 1/2 a twist in or taking one out time and time again as you creep tune your rig into perfection.

If you happen to be one of those folks, I suggest that you get the tools to do this yourself and start doing your own tuning.
It does not cost a fortune to get the basics. A bowmaster press is a great tool and will allow you to do just about everything required without breaking the bank.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Over the years I've learned a lot about tuning my own bow. I like being self sufficient. If there was a problem I just couldn't figure out on my own or from the boards I'd let a shop take a look, but that probably would be rare.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its kind of difficult for someone else to tune your bow , They have a differant grip,drawlength , ancor , and any other variable you can think of . Tuneing is best done by the person who will be shooting the bow .
Old 06-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess I'm like the rest of these idiots. Shooting compounds for 32 years and the only reason mine has ever been in a shop is to use their indoor range. To that end I'm my own best, self taught, bow mechanic.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:09 PM

Len,Are you out there?.....Bob

Quick Reply: Pro shop to fix tuning issues?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.