HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pro shop to fix tuning issues?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:30 AM
gselkhunter
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pro shop to fix tuning issues?

I think you guys are talking two different issues. The bow can be tuned and working perfectly. Tuning a shooter is a whole different issue, I know I was one of those. But I was one of the lucky ones. I shoot out at the Air Force Academy and so did the Olympic team for many years. One of the guys from the team watched me struggle and took pity and helped me. Three basic points is what he put in my head. One, how to hold the bow. The placement in the hand is very important. The risor is put against the knuckle of the thumb, not the valley between the thumb and finger. By doing this[and it feels real weird until you get used to it] you can throw your arm guard away because your arm is no longer in the travel path of the string. Also don't squeeze the water out of the handle. If you hold the bow to tight you will flinch at release. People say open hand or two fingers on the front of the bow. I don't use a strap so I put all of my fingers on the front of the bow, but just touch it so I don't drop it. For all the ground I cover hunting elk I never liked a strap.
Two, body balance is of most importance. The way you stand to the target at full draw will add to or take away from the shooting. To get your back straight[right handed shooter] put all your weight on your left foot. At full draw you should be able to pick your right foot off the ground and just put down your big toe for balance. For foot placement, your front foot[left] should be at a 45 degree angle to the target. This keeps the body square to the target. And when I am hunting I can't always set myself like this, but I sure can at the range to work on shooting form.
And three, the release. This is the hardest to master because it is mental not mechanical. Hit your anchor point, bring the sight pin to the target[I come from below] and release when you hit the point on the target you want to hit. DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH! A lot of guys hold the pin on the target forever and are good at it, I never was. And I don't squeeze the trigger of my release with my finger, contraction of the shoulder muscles releases the arrow.
There were other things we worked on but these were the main factors that helped me. He even got me shooting 90 meter targets with him. After shooting 90 meters, 20yds isn't so hard. And back to the first question, yes I do all my own tuning, my garage is my bow shop. I work on most of my buddies bows also.
Gselkhunter