HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - recurve vs longbow?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: recurve vs longbow?

I think recurve is still an easier transistion from compounds. Theriser mass makes holding on target a lot easier, and keeps hand shock/recoil down so they really are easier to shoot accurately, at least for most folks.

Some are just natural born longbow shooters and can't shoot recurves worth a flip. I wish I was one of them, but I ain't.[&:]I love longbows but can't shoot them worth a flip. On the other hand,I was always a deadly SOB with a recurve.

Straight limb longbows are generally slower and less efficient than recurves, and do give you a solid bump in the hand at the shot. That's true. But reflex/deflex longbows are extremely popular these days because don't give up much, if anything,in performance to recurves and don't have much handshock at all.

Of course, handshock is one of those things that's pretty subjective. Some people wouldn't feel any handshock if they took a baseball bat and swatted a telephone pole as hard as they can. [:-]Others are reallysensitive to handshock. So, some people will tell you there isn't any handshock with a bow and someone else will tell you the same bow numbed their arm and rattled their teeth. It's one of those things you'll have to investigate for yourself.

Anyway, I'd suggest starting out with a recurve and then moving on to longbows later. You're eventually gonna wind up with at least one of each anyway.