HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Does the military not teach???
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006, 09:02 PM
biscuit jake
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does the military not teach???

I've been on the retired list for a few years... not too many, so hopefully someone on the board in a current unit will respond. I recently heard we ran out of money to do annual range qual in Iowa units. Well, I did an active duty stint in the USMC and Army both, and about 16 Guard years. Ballistics of the weapon were reviewed, as well as zeroing and shooting from various positions. Having been in both services, I think the USMC honestly did a much better job. We snapped in for a week before doing our actual range fire, and had a range that had targets up to 500m. I think soldiers have an understanding of their assigned weapons and how to employ them. However, unless they have an interest in shooting as a hobby or sport, they may have very little knowledge about sporting arms and their capabilities. So indeed they may little knowledge or even misconceptions about the old classic 375 Holland and Holland. Predates most of them by many decades, too. Military weapons systems are always changing. Eg, 50 Cal BMG's are in less use because jet attack aircraft are harder to hit due to high speed. Alot to keep up with.