HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are 6 mineral salt licks too many on 45 acres
Old 05-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are 6 mineral salt licks too many on 45 acres

Good post fletch. I have 3 salt blocks here on 21 acres and theres a major highway going in and out. I have a trough of water nearby and they hit that afterwards. I've had them out for about 6 yrs and just replaced them last year with new blocks. I took rock salt and poured it in a hollowed out stump with the block on top. When that salt melts down into that stump they just waddle out a big hole. Seems like they like digging for the salt as oposed to actually lickingthe block. I've seen coyotes on the lick and moose tracks there also. I had some mineral blocks out but they just rotted as the squirrels and rodents were the only one intrested.
I don;t hunt over these (or any other bait) but have them where I can see activity from my kabin window and there kinda like my pets as I have a lot of regulars showing up from previous offsprings and I enjoy watching them. I did see a 6x6 in velvet last year at the block. Just like fletch said, if you put a camera up, you'll get some good photos. I think I just might do that.

Bobby