Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are 6 mineral salt licks too many on 45 acres >

Are 6 mineral salt licks too many on 45 acres

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are 6 mineral salt licks too many on 45 acres

Old 05-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are 6 mineral salt licks too many on 45 acres

One spot on 45 ac is plenty just replace it ofter and place it near water or a really low spot that is wet
Old 05-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are doing this to benefit the deer make sure to limit the amount of salt in your lick. Too much salt is bad for deer just as it is for humans. I think Dr. Kroll suggests no more than 13% salt in your mix. If you want I can check on that number. There's a cattle mineral mix made that has a high calcium/low sodium mix made by Southern States. I recommend using that. One lick should be enough for that size area. I'd put it in a thick area near the center of the property and make that a sanctuary and hunt the approaches to the thicket but not directly on the thicket.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with MOBOW. If you are using them to attract deer to hunt at a certain location then the fewer options the deer have the better. I usually like to have one or two per 80 acres.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

i still find it hard to believe too much salt is a bad thing.i dont think deer get high blood pressure. ive never seen a deer gorge themselves ona lick or come to a lick for more than a couple minutes before moving on. i think they have a natural instict to only use what there body needs. i have cut way back on my salt block areas because i think they will travel to find a lick and dont forget there are natural licks too. as for hunting over them ive never seen a deer use a lick much after september but your area may vary.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:42 AM

I've never had too much luck using them. I have put some out before but couldn't really see where the deer were using them too much.?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

i still find it hard to believe too much salt is a bad thing.i dont think deer get high blood pressure.
Actually they can. But the point is that it doesn't help the deer much over a certain amount so you're wasting the rest. It's better to get them the calcium and other minerals they need for fawning and antler growth. If you're going to do it for improvement do it year round (if your local laws permit) to help with fawning, recovery from fawning and rut, yearling growth, and antler developement.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think salt will do much of anything at all for the deer except attract them to the lick, the various other important minerals and the area.