HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A stabilizing experience
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Jerry/Pa

Default RE: A stabilizing experience

Funny you brought this subject up Frank. I've been trying different stabs myself the last couple weeks. This set-up is for my target bow.I don't think much about a stabilizer effecting my group size at hunting distances under 30 yds. I'm more concerned about noise and vibration on my hunting rig.

I was shooting a 10 in.stabilizer on my target bow. I'm not even sure what brand but it was too heavy and added to much mass weight. I started trying different types and lenghts of stabilizers and ended up with a 18 in. Super Stix. I did notice a slight increase in vibration but I sacrificed that for better holding and aiming. I also noticed the longer stabilizers 24in to 30in I was getting to much canting. Thats why I opted for 18in. It is enough to give me better balance but not effect my front weight or side to side canting. I didn't want to add more weight with a kicker. Even though it's longer then what I'm use to. It's lighter in wieght. Afer the dust settled I didtighen my groups at 50-60 yds. What I really noticed is I'm not fighting to hold on the target like I use to.

If you read about stabilization it talks about balance and aiming nothing about stopping noise or vibration. Thats something we as hunters added to the mix. Something else I played with a few years ago was tiller. It also hepled with aiming and holding better. none of my bows are set at even tiller. They're all set differently depending on how they sit in my hand and feel at full draw. My wife keeps asking me "what are you buying now"? I tell her be glad I don't golf to. Jerry