Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 A stabilizing experience >

A stabilizing experience

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A stabilizing experience

Old 05-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A stabilizing experience

So what you are saying is that the benefits of a shorter (under 12 inches) stabilizerdoes very little in terms of improving accuracy versus not having a stabilizer at all?
Well thats a fairly broad statement but if the bow is nicely ballanced like the Bowtech's are then yes.

The experience you related earlier in your post of shooting with a long stabilizer vs. non at all seems to run right along with what I am suggesting yet you are planning to go with the 26 inch model in the future. Out of curiousity, why?
Like I said earlier I have stepped to open class where I am shooting out to 50yards plus shooting field where the max distance is 80 yards then the longer stabilizer does help toimprove accuracy due to it being harder to tourque the bow.

But at hunting distances 25 yards and less there is no real benifit of having a stabilizer at all unless the bow is that unbalanced that you have to have one just to balance the bow out.

The only reason I have one on my hunting bow to keep the wrist sling in place

Old 05-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only reason I have one on my hunting bow to keep the wrist sling in place
I would be willing to bet that statement applies to alot of folks. I did put one of those little nut-shaped bolt attachments on mine to hold the strap in place though I could not resist screwing in a regular Sims Enhancer as well. It almost makes me feel naked in not having at least something on the bow.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:57 PM

Funny you brought this subject up Frank. I've been trying different stabs myself the last couple weeks. This set-up is for my target bow.I don't think much about a stabilizer effecting my group size at hunting distances under 30 yds. I'm more concerned about noise and vibration on my hunting rig.

I was shooting a 10 in.stabilizer on my target bow. I'm not even sure what brand but it was too heavy and added to much mass weight. I started trying different types and lenghts of stabilizers and ended up with a 18 in. Super Stix. I did notice a slight increase in vibration but I sacrificed that for better holding and aiming. I also noticed the longer stabilizers 24in to 30in I was getting to much canting. Thats why I opted for 18in. It is enough to give me better balance but not effect my front weight or side to side canting. I didn't want to add more weight with a kicker. Even though it's longer then what I'm use to. It's lighter in wieght. Afer the dust settled I didtighen my groups at 50-60 yds. What I really noticed is I'm not fighting to hold on the target like I use to.

If you read about stabilization it talks about balance and aiming nothing about stopping noise or vibration. Thats something we as hunters added to the mix. Something else I played with a few years ago was tiller. It also hepled with aiming and holding better. none of my bows are set at even tiller. They're all set differently depending on how they sit in my hand and feel at full draw. My wife keeps asking me "what are you buying now"? I tell her be glad I don't golf to. Jerry