HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - SHOOTING BIRDS AT 30+YRDS!!
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 05:50 AM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SHOOTING BIRDS AT 30+YRDS!!

30yds is not a long shot for a 12ga if you got a good load and choke combo......at 30yds i put 190 hevi shot 6s on a 10x10 piece of paper....i think thats bad news for any tureky.........and thats not even a GOOD pattern compared to a nitro/rhino pattern.........

tschaef....since you new to turkey hunting you might not know......once you shoot you gota get on the bird QUICK....like the guys you see RUNNING on tv...you gota keep your head and be safe...no need to ACTUALLY run...but shoot..stand up and walk to the bird...i usually straddle them till the quit flopping if they are flopping...watch out for the spurs......someone had pics of GASHES in their hands from grabbing spurs..and if needed grab its neck......dont shoot it again unless its actually running or something!my first bird flopped like he!! becuase i barely hit it....i KNOW i pulled the shot...the bird walked in the direction i pulled...the edge of the pattern hit him..he was down..but not good...i ran and got on him and strangled him......good luck....by all means neccessary if you gota shot him again do it.....but theres other ways to do it.....just thought id let you know since your new to turkey hunting